Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Have you shown under these judges?

Have you shown under James M. Brown or Mr. James S. Covey and would you show under them again? Trying to figure out if the drive on icy roads is worth it. I know several excellent handlers will be handling under them also.
TIA

Re: Have you shown under these judges?

Icy roads...........no way would I put myself, my dogs and others at risk for a dog show ribbon. Stay home and stay safe there is always another show! Merry Christmas! Oh, I am sure the Judges are as good as any!

Check out what was put up just recently on info dog.....
traveling on icy roads.... not me.

Where is this show being held? Icy roads are usually salted and turned into wet roads in a short amount of time.

Buck up and go to the show. How many of us took home points from judges we had no idea about?

Frosty
Where is this show being held? Icy roads are usually salted and turned into wet roads in a short amount of time.

Buck up and go to the show. How many of us took home points from judges we had no idea about?

Where is the show being held is correct.

Icy roads in the south and areas that don't get much snow/ice can be deadly. My state does not have salt trucks or other chemicals to remove snow/ice because it is not cost effective. When we get ice, we stay home and wait for the sun to work her magic.

Use your own common sense here I guess. You know the region you are in and the type of vehicle you have.

The one unknown variable is always the other person.

I grew up in the north and my sister's best friend was killed on an icy/snowy road by someone who wasn't experienced in winter driving in that region.

I once travelled to Dallas for a dog show and the night we arrived it was raining/sleeting. The Friday we were supposed to show it was already icing and getting very dangerous. We made the decision to turn around and go home before it got bad. I'm glad we did. I heard it was horrible that weekend and several people were in accidents.

......and to answer your question.....

I don't know either judge very well. Shown to them at very small shows, but I don't know what they'd put up at a show with competition.

I've shown to both of these judges but not for a few years. As I recall, James Brown really liked handler's dogs; it was a show heavy with handlers. Covey's judging doesn't stand out in my memory.

Covey judged at the National 7-8 years ago. He did a decent job. Found nice dogs.

States that normally don't get ice n snow are more dangerous. The drivers aren't use to it. I saw alot of salting on the highways especially the weekend of the Middleburg shows that was cancelled for an entire weekend. I would call what was on the ground icey,slushey with lite snow.