Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Opps breeding with 10yr

Been breeding over 20yrs and never a opps breeding..Didn't even notice my 10yr old was in season. Probably a silent heat~~Came home to find male and felmale tied!!! Thinking of taking her in for a spay but worried it would risk her life...Any experience on older bitches whelping or being spayed at 10 or older???? Please just experienced breeders reply...

Re: Opps breeding with 10yr

My sister in-law's bitch got pregnant at the age of 10 years and it was an oops breeding. They thought that she was out of the season thing. But found out that her girl was preggy... the bitch delivered one "healthy" puppy with no problems. Nursed it and raised it. The puppy how ever was very active in a way that he seemed to be different so they never knew if he was retarded or something as he seemed to have difficulties learning new things. I guess it is a possibility with bitches to have retarded puppies at such an old age as well as with us humans.

Singletons are different than pups with littermates. Many make excellent show dogs with lots of drive.

I doubt it was retardation because of increased activity or the age of the bitch when she whelped the puppy.

My neighbors unspayed 10 year old farm lab had an oops breeding with another neighbors lab that got out. It was her first litter! She had 8 pups, laid on 2 of them but 6 survived and all were normal.

Find a vet who can do a laparoscopic spay. Far less intrusive than a full blown spay. Had a few of my older girls done this way and will not even consider the old fashioned spay any more.

So much faster, safer and with almost no downtime for recovery at all.

Good luck, hopefully everything will be fine.

I always spay my bitches after recovering from their last litter....usually before they are 7. I don't want that accident happening and I like being able to give the girl some relaxation in her later life with no seasons and boys bugging her. Plus I don't have to worry about Pyo anymore.

I wouldn't put her through whelping raising a litter at 10yrs old. That is too old. just get her spayed and now and all will be well with problem solved. She will do fine.

If you are concerned that she might not do well under anesthesia for a spay, what will happen if she needs an emergency c-section? IMO, if she's not healthy enough to be spayed, she's certainly not healthy enough to raise a litter. I would do a full blood panel now and then look into spaying her as soon as your vet will do it.
JMHO

In general, 10 year olds shouldn't be having litters. But, if she is a very young and healthy 10, and it is a small litter, I would think it is worth considering. I think you have to take it as an individual circumstance and decide. I'm not sure how soon you can do an ultrasound or if you wait to palpate if it is too late to spay. But if you can delay the decision until you know how many that might be an important piece of data. But having said that, if she is and old or unhealthy 10 year old, I would definitely spay ASAP.

As another poster wrote, I routinely spay my bitches after they recover from their last litter. I tend to retire my bitches early but I did breed an 8.5 year old once and had no problems. That was the exception to the rule as she was so darn healthy and had always been such an easy whelper and good mother. She had a big litter too. But the point is, every circumstance is an individual one.

I have an older bitch (8 years) to spay and would like to hear more about this procedure. What are the contra-indications, if any? How hard is it to find a vet that does it? Does it require special equipment (I would assume so). Is the cost comparable to a regular spay?

I have a friend who had this done on a bitch 2 weeks ago. Cost was slightly less than a traditional spay; they removed only the ovaries and left the uterine tissue intact. Very slick and excellent recovery time!

Here is one site's info: http://www.willetthouse.co.uk/laparoscopic-spay.asp

If you choose to have he puppies I would seek the expertise of a repro vet. this vet can help you make informed decisions either way.3nkh

I've only had one laparoscopic spay done, but would not choose the procedure again. My bitch had more discomfort for a longer period than I've seen with a normal spay- and the cost was more expensive here.

I think the advice of a repro vet is a great idea. Either way...

just me
If you choose to have he puppies I would seek the expertise of a repro vet. this vet can help you make informed decisions either way.3nkh