Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
False pregnancy

Will a false pregnancy delay next heat cycle, or should I assume she will go into heat at her normal time?

Re: False pregnancy

My girl came in 2 weeks early, recently, after having a false pregnancy.

All Bitches go through false pregnancy. It is nursing and raising puppies what can cause a delay of the next heat cycle.

while I agree that raising a litter causes a bitch to come in later on next cycle (mine usually a month late)

I don't agree that all bitches have false pregnancies.

In all our years of breeding only had one bitch that had false pregnancies.

Just wondering if I read your post wrong, can you clarify?

I didnt get that either.... I had a bitch go thru the whole false pregnancy, with lactation and all. When we had an ultra sound doc said that there were fluid filled sacs with no pups in them on both sides of the horn. He did tell me that it would be ok to try again, she has had 3 sucessful litters, this is her only false. He said if she did it again tho, that it would be beneficial to spay her. This would be her last breeding anyway. Would love to hear what anyone else that has been through this or, has knowledge on the subject has to say. I have read varying things on the subject and heard people on both side of the fence on this matter. Thanks!

I had a bitch go through a significant false pregancy when she was 6 years old for the first time. This was a girl I was finishing up various working titles on and then planned to breed. She had been having regular heat cycles every 6-7 months since she turned 9 months old.
Following the false pregnancy, she was bred on her next cycle and whelped 10 healthy puppies, but needed a C-Section to get the last 3 puppies out. She had another heat 7 months later and again another false pregnancy. We are waiting for that to resolve now and will spay her next month. She had swelling, lactation and all the significant coat blowing as if she had had a litter.
My Vet told me that all dogs go through the hormonal changes of a false pregnancy to some degree and it is normal .. some show very little changes some get the full blown deal.

I had a JRT bitch that couldn't be spayed because of a congenital heart condition. She went through quite a number of false pregnancies complete with lactation. Some more pronounced than others. She would also produce a normal milk supply everytime my other bitch(her best friend) had a litter which did not always correspond with her cycles. She was so happy to be a "mommy". Her cycles were fairly normal in intervals until her last few years and she lived to be 12.

I only had one other girl that went through a noticeable false pregnancy complete with carrying around stuffed toys that she kept with her, she also had normal intervals on her heat cycles. She died from an accident so I never got to have a litter with her.