Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Newborn yellow with small black spot on thigh area

Litter born last night. One yellow male has a small area of black hairs on the rear thigh area kind of next to the tail. Both parents are pure for yellow. Anyone every seen this? Does it ever go away?

Re: Newborn yellow with small black spot on thigh area

Yup. A friend had a yellow boy pup born with a half dollar size spot between his ears. It didn't go away and he's cute as a button in a pet home. One parent was pure for yellow and the other a By.

I've had it happen twice. Unlike white hairs on a black, the black spots on a yellow don't go away. It's extra pigment in the skin like a beauty mark.

It's a 'mismark'. When pigment forms it sometimes 'bleeds' into certain areas.

Had a nice puppy born, yellow with a quarter on her hock. Jet black on a nice light yellow bitch. Looked like she leaned on a sharpie.

Called her Dottie. She is a love-bug. 9 yrs old and it is still there.

So it's not going away. Would most of you sell this pup for less? It's just as quality of a pup in every other way. I know it's not about money but don't want a family treating pup or thinking they got 2nd best, either. Kind comments/ideas?

I have never had a mismark puppy, so have not been faced with discussing this with potential owners. BUT I certainly would not price her for less.
Julia

The one we had was sold at regular price. The people thought she was special. It's just cosmetic.

Blue Knight labradors has some pictures under their articles about mismarks.

I thought this male pup rather unique and he was pretty darned adorable to boot. I told my friend not to lower his price. He was a healthy puppy. He was snatched up very quickly as I recall.

I am an owner. Please don't "mark down" this puppy - he's healthy, from good parents, etc.!

Our yellow boy has a group of black hairs on his side, which people sometimes think is dirt, and some even try to brush it away :-)

Our black dog has a group of yellow hairs on the inside of his thigh. When we got our yellow, we always thought we'd found the rest of our family, since each had the other's hair color!

I had one many years ago. I kept it since it was one of my best puppies. Later she fell apart and I sold her for regular price. All you have is a small missmark. It is not desirable but I wouldn't sell it for less and I would even keep it if it was one of the nicer puppies.

I would pay triple for the pup here that has the black front leg and the black band around the back. Just love it!
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/mismarks.html

Every pup sold as a pet has something that is not great about it. Do you charge less if a pup has straight shoulders or do you just sell that pup to a family that doesn't hike mountains every weekend? Sell the pup for full price to a family who thinks it is cute.

Always Something New
So it's not going away. Would most of you sell this pup for less? It's just as quality of a pup in every other way. I know it's not about money but don't want a family treating pup or thinking they got 2nd best, either. Kind comments/ideas?

Always Something New
Litter born last night. One yellow male has a small area of black hairs on the rear thigh area kind of next to the tail. Both parents are pure for yellow. Anyone every seen this? Does it ever go away?

How big is the mark? It is not a deal breaker for a keeper if it's not big and the puppy is otherwise a good one.

I had a boy born about a year and a half ago with a black mark about the size of a quarter on his tummy and up onto his side. It is a mis-marked and on the yellows a black mark is known as a Mosaic.

If you google labradors and mismarks there are several websites that discuss color mismarks with lots of pictures. Woodhaven is one on them.

My boy went to the couple who had first pick of the males, they couldn't commit to take him fast enough and at full price. He hunts like a demon, does dock diving and is very much loved.

As for the black spot, it grew with him and is fairly sizeable. You can see pictures of "Amos" on my website. Addisonoaksret.com. We happen to think he's a real cutie.

I had a lovely female pup in my last litter (chocolates) with a white spot on her chest. I had one buyer ask me for a discount on her because of it even after I explained it was not a disqualification and did not take away from the quality of her breeding in any way. They told me they didn't want people to think they had a mutt! I have to admit I was quite offended. It was like they thought she should be on the sale rack! I did not sell to them and sold the pup to a wonderful home for full price. I would not lower the price for the mismark either.