Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pine chips/shavings

With the drought in Texas my backyard is dead, no grass, the tree died with the last hurricane. I have dirt and sand in the back yard! Ugh! I was wanting to wait another year before I re-do it. The area is about 24 x 24, somewhat small but with all the mud now that it's been raining, the dogs are dragging it in with them and it's just driving me crazy! Has anyone used pine chips/shavings with any success? Any good ideas you might have I would sure appreciate it. I'm off the next couple of weeks from work and am going to try working back there. Thanks in advance for your ideas and help! Happy New Year!

Re: Pine chips/shavings

I use shavings in the outdoor pen with my pups. I have only had one (several years ago) that "might" had had an allergic issue to them. At the time, I could not be sure it was the recently added shavings or "something" else.

The only thing "negative" I could suggest is that they can eat/chew the shavings. It is incidental, and has never made a difference, but something to consider. In my opinion though, better than a pup(s) eating pea gravel or other substrate.

I've used shavings for years, it absorbs the muck very quickly. Yes, it will blow away in a windstorm, but for the most part, it's a quick fix for the mud problem and once tromped in, you barely notice it, except that there's no longer muck.

I know what you mean about the mud! I am not sure, but think you will have a hard time planting and growing grass over ground that has had wood shavings on them, until the shavings are well rotted.And that can take years.
For my muddy areas, I use wheat straw. It will also get tromped in and blow when very windy, but rots quickly and becomes a mulch like material.
If you are not going to plant grass, not sure it matters what you use.
Good luck!
Julia

Does the wheat straw smell when it gets wet?