Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Male puppy feeding

How much would you say the average active male puppy eat around 5 months old? My puppy is big boned and eating 5 cups a day, but still seems a bit thin. He is on proplan. TIA

Re: Male puppy feeding

Put him on ProPlan Performance, which an all- age food. My boys that age can certainly eat up to 6 cups a day even on the performance food until they are maybe 3-4 years of age. Also in the winter I usually have to up their food as they expend energy keeping warm while out playing in the yard - they do have a well- insulated heated kennel building, but choose to spend much of their time out in the nice cold weather.

My female who is that age eats that much, so know a growing boy could use a little more. Sometimes with boys it is hard to fill them up. They can put away some food till 2 years.

I pretty much feed my puppies as much as they'll eat at that high growth age. That generally equates to 7-10 cups/day. Once they've stopped that growth spurt, then you can cut back on the food so they don't get fat.When they start to go up again, then up the food again.

Rule of thumb for me...to keep that lovely bone, you've gotta keep the weight as they grow.

7-10 cups, even 6, wow! Those have to be some fat puppies or your picking up a LOT of crap.

My males are pretty good size at 5 mos. And they take alot of food that first 18 mos. Just can't seem to keep them full. So that much food is not that far off as you hit 6 mos. They play and burn it off.

Need to eat!
I pretty much feed my puppies as much as they'll eat at that high growth age. That generally equates to 7-10 cups/day. Once they've stopped that growth spurt, then you can cut back on the food so they don't get fat.When they start to go up again, then up the food again.

Rule of thumb for me...to keep that lovely bone, you've gotta keep the weight as they grow.

UGHHH!!!!! BUT to each their own...