Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Finding Majors

It seems we are finding fewer majors in Labs, at least in the part of the country where I show(southern California and adjacent states).

This fall some of the shows we used to count on for majors weren't. And now Palm Springs, which has always been a major as long as I can remember, isn't. In fact, it's barely 2 points in dogs.

Is it just a sign of the economy? Is it just this part of the country? Or are other places having this problem too?

Re: Finding Majors

I think part of it is that Cal takes so many dogs to get majors because there are 6 specialties there. I would try to go to the shows in NV, AZ, & NM that take far less dogs for majors. I would just do your research and see what show counts have held for the past 5 yrs as majors. If people always know those shows will be they will always try to go to them. ID has a 4 day show in Oct that is always majors every day but it is the only show in ID that is majors most other shows are hit/miss. Good luck!

Are the judges decent? I know in Colorado we are able to get 3 point majors or better when good judges are lined up.

It's a bit of a drive, but checkout the Beehive Cluster in May in SLC. Four show, indoors (although on packed dirt) and they hsve been majors for the last two years.

Johanne

I have been trying to finish my boy for a year he needs majors. The last 4 show clusters that I have entered supposed to be majors have either not been or have broken. Even sent my dog out of state and failed to have majors or they broke. Very frustrating. Judges were good. I guess economy is a big factor. Just have to keep trying.

The AZ shows in February should be majors since they have several breeder judges lined up. The Puyallup cluster in WA are usually majors every January - 2012 is one of the largest entries in years. The Portland Cluster in January also usually brings in majors. The # of dogs required for majors in OR/WA is a bit less for males but more for females and there are majors in both. There are fewer specialties in these areas and most likely fewer shows overall. In 2011 several NW shows were majors. It could be there are just too many shows in CA nowadays and each show brings in fewer entries. CA has a lot of specialties, but the entries at many of them are not that big in comparison to other areas of the country where there are fewer local specialties.

I saw that the AKC is putting AZ in the same region as CA in the point schedule. It takes more and more to make majors.

we need the most dogs to make a major in the country and we have lots of majors in the north east. I believe it is because the local Lab specialty clubs go out of their way to support the entries at many all breed clubs. Supported entries usually mean breeder judges who usually pull majors.

My suggestion is to talk to the people in the specialty club you belong to and try to get the club to support more all breed shows. Also your club officers can talk to other specialty club officers and see if they will support all breed club shows in their area.

I think that is a good way to get more majors.

Yep... keeps your dog out in the ring longer and longer, which means more and more money in the AKC pockets. You may want to consider putting a handler on your dog for the majors. Probably cheaper in the long run although not quite the same level of fun for you the exhibitor.

The all-breed clubs here seek our local lab club support, however they haven't been so willing to bring in breeder judges. Seems they want our support for the increase in entries, but there's no back scratching to the labrador community. Sorry, but just doesn't make sense.

Personally, I will show to a really good all-breed judge over some of the breeder judge lately. There do seem to be judges on panels lately where I ask myself why are they judging labradors as it will surely mean almost no entry. I will drive up to 3-4hrs one-way for good all-rounders at all-breeds on a weekend.

I think we folks in the Northeast benefit a lot from geography and population density. Yes, we have the toughest row to hoe when it come to majors because of the numbers required, but we also have many more specialties and supported entries within reasonable distances.
My own club supports entries at 4 all-breed shows in additon to our own Specialty. We have found that by providing a list of breeder judges for the all-breed shows to work with, we generally get good results. Given these tough economic times, all breed shows really need the Lab entries to boost their total entry.