Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Lactating bitch in trouble . Eclampsia, calcium deficiency or infection?

Your vet should be able to run an inhouse Calcium test by blood like Kate said along with white blood count. We had a girl have a section and spayed at the same time to save her life. About 10 days later she had a high temp and wasn't feeling well. Took her to the vets right away. They checked her calcium level and it was good. So we put her on some more Amoxi. She was fine. We think it was a mild infection.

Classic eclampsia.
I've given my girls up to 4, 1000mg calcium tums at a time.
I would get your girl to the vet ASAP tho.

Thank you, all, for your input. Addie's temp is now down to 101.8 and she's acting normal. My vet and I now feel it must be eclampsia rather than infection, since she improved so quickly from the calcium. BTW, she was a bit unstable initially, walked slowly and stiffly. I got more Tums (100% calcium), was advised to give 2 tonight (1500 mg), will continue monitoring temp. Will get bloodwork done tomorrow probably. It was scary since I've never dealt with this before but do know how dangerous it can be. Thanks again!

with her getting so close I would be giving her 1 tablet twice a day until pups start eating something.

better safe than sorry and her body can use it!

I really like the Oral Cal plus that Revival carries. Very fast acting and apparently palatable. I give this between puppies and as needed that first week or 2. Then just go to a regular Calcium supp.

Jenny, I'm so glad she is responding to oral calcium.
What were you feeding her before her whelp and currently? Did you give calcium during her whelp?

I ask these questions because my bitch got into
trouble because I had fed her a dog food that I did not know was high in calcium while she was pregnant and afterward. The high calcium diet suppressed her parathyroid function; when greater calcium was
needed for milk production, she leached it from her own
blood stream and bones to provide the calcium. Then she developed eclampsia because she did not have sufficient calcium for herself and for milk production.

I tell you this because it is possible to provide so
much calcium that you suppress the parathyroid gland. The sole purpose of the parathyroid gland is to regulate calcium in the blood in a very tight range.

I learned a lot the hard way. Before supplementing with calcium, find out how much calcium your dog food contains and check with your reproductive vet. It is possible to get eclampsia because of oversupplementation of calcium.

I'm glad it wasn't metritis. Eclampsia is an easier fix. I hope she continues to respond well to treatment.

Addie's still doing well. For now, I'm giving 1 Tum (750 mg) twice/day.

I've been feeding Premium Edge Chicken & Rice Adult for years, never had this problem before. I checked the bag and calcium is way down the list, 8th from the end, so can't be much but I'm going to e-mail and find out exactly how much. I did not supplement calcium prior to whelping, nor during whelp as I did a section.

Have to say it's so nice to get input from breeders on this list ... Even after 20+ years, I encounter things for the first time and it's so helpful to get brainstorming going. Thanks to all of you.
Jenny