Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Dogs know what you're thinking....

This just supports my feeling that most Dogs are so much better and work much harder than we do to bridge the gap in inter-species communication.

The average pet owner does not "watch" their dog nearly as much as the dog watches them. They generally have our behaviors pretty much down pat and have learned how to use that to their advantage... be it good or bad.

"....and have learned how to use that to their advantage... be it good or bad."

So very true!!!

Those of us who do obedience work have known this for a while. Our dogs are more tuned in to our body language with verbal as a secondary/back-up. They are also tuned in to the tone we use with language, as much as the actual word.

I agree on the body language. My dogs watch my every move when we are working as well as before dinner and bedtime. They know whats going on.

Yes.. I think our smart Labradors have been "studying" us for years and they actually are professionals at predicting OUR patterns of behavior. Since dogs seem to see things in Pictures or sequences of visual cues I think they notice our breathing, eye gaze, body shifts, jaw tightening ...and more subtle things we don't even realize we do if what follows is rewarding to them or something they don't like.

Like all the little things you do before you take them outside, get their food , give them a bath, start dinner, start a play or training session, start loading the car for a show weekend.

Yes as an obedience trainer you learn this, I just think they are masterful at it.

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2012/01/in-the-eyes-of-a-dog.html?ref=hp

An article with more information about the testing done in Hungary. Very interesting - saw a TV show about it recently too.

Absolutely fascinating!