Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Assistance provided for low income families for animal care?

Bdr
Maybe we should give them a free cell phone too.

they (already) get a free cell phone - haven't you seen the commercials?

Actually, some circumstances provide free cell phone (very few minutes) to allow folks to check on children or get a call from work.

I live in one of the richest counties in the USA. That does not prevent trouble for those who were always middle class or higher in the past, as banks fail, home values decline and jobs get lost in this economy. Our Sunday paper just profiled a formerly working mother who lost her job due to a military base closing. She is dismayed and astounded at her current plight, as she has not been able to find a new job. I am constantly getting rescue calls from folks with an older Lab or two, now 8 or 9 years old, and the folks suddenly can't buy the next bag of Dog Chow, as they can't feed their children this month. Folks who always gave to food drives are finding themselves needing help from the food banks. If need is real, why not? They made the deposits, paying it forward, in the past. They struggle to make themselves go to the food pantries.

In another county, a couple have started a pet food pantry.
http://bit.ly/uMmTs6

The pet food bank rep indicates that most times all it takes is one bag of food for the family to get their bearings or help from somewhere else, such as a new job, and the family pet no longer has to go into the shelter. I am relieved to have that many fewer Labradors (most popular breed) in the landfills. Rescue can't take them all. Be a mensch or read about the Good Samaritan. There is real need out there.

A little compassion please. Many families and individuals have had their circumstances reduced by job loss, health issues, etc. This situation transcends the socioeconomic spectrum. My husband has clients who have been in a job search for several months and longer. While ours is considered an affluent town, there are those who used to donate to local food pantries who are now using its services. One of the food pantries has started taking donations of pet food. My vet says he is having to make payment arrangements for more and more clients that might otherwise forego needed treatment for their animals because they are out of work. Does this mean you think people should immediately give up the pets they have owned and responsibly cared for until they hit a rough patch in life that they hope will be temporary? Would you rather they just not provide medical care for those pets that joined them during the flush years?

I agree with you that someone should not acquire a pet if they can't afford its care or maintenance and I would hope that the shelter will carefully screen its adoptive clients. However, in this economy this shelter sounds like it will provide a needed service at an reduced price to those who find themselves in a pinch, as well as those who will be forced to make the difficult decision to give up their pets. JMHO.

Hi Charlotte-

I must have been writing my response as you were posting yours! We make many of the same points...

Oh goodness, let me enlighten y'all!!! Just because someone can not afford to buy Taste of the Wild, an expensive orthopedic bed, have doggie daycare and a dog walker does not mean that they can not provide a loving, stable, disciplined home for a dog.(or cat, for that matter!!!)

I live in an area of the south where dogs and cats run loose all the time, our spay/neuter clinic is inundated each and every day and our local Animal control euthanizes +/- 100 dogs and cats per week.

But I have come in contact with the most giving, loving, concerned people I have ever met. And those people don't have 2 nickels to rub together.

No, the dogs aren't sleeping on their owner's beds, and no, they aren't eating the latest $2/pound dog food but they are loved, gently/lovingly disciplined, taken everywhere their families go and they provide comfort to people whose lives aren't going as well as yours and mine!!!

It doesn't matter how much money people have when it comes to animals......Michael Vick is a perfect, despicable, example!!!

Marjorie
Bdr
Maybe we should give them a free cell phone too.

they (already) get a free cell phone - haven't you seen the commercials?

Are you referring to people that have dogs being treated for free or inexpensively that also have free cell phones? I haven't seen the commercials. Can you elaborate. TIA.