Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Assistance provided for low income families for animal care?

A little compassion please. Many families and individuals have had their circumstances reduced by job loss, health issues, etc. This situation transcends the socioeconomic spectrum. My husband has clients who have been in a job search for several months and longer. While ours is considered an affluent town, there are those who used to donate to local food pantries who are now using its services. One of the food pantries has started taking donations of pet food. My vet says he is having to make payment arrangements for more and more clients that might otherwise forego needed treatment for their animals because they are out of work. Does this mean you think people should immediately give up the pets they have owned and responsibly cared for until they hit a rough patch in life that they hope will be temporary? Would you rather they just not provide medical care for those pets that joined them during the flush years?

I agree with you that someone should not acquire a pet if they can't afford its care or maintenance and I would hope that the shelter will carefully screen its adoptive clients. However, in this economy this shelter sounds like it will provide a needed service at an reduced price to those who find themselves in a pinch, as well as those who will be forced to make the difficult decision to give up their pets. JMHO.