Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: eating placentas

Cathy Montgomery
I let my girls eat some,but not all.She's got enough to worry about without adding diarrhea to the mix.

There is no reason to overdo it. I've tested my girls with and without. The diarrhea is 2 to 3 days with placental consumption up to 5. Friends have girls that go longer. A friend has a girl that consumes all that only has 36 hours of diarrhea but I've never heard of loose stool less than that. The placentas I can scoop up before she consumes, I will. So the girls usually get 4 to 5 maximum for a litter of 10. Usually milk with colostrum has come in before or during whelping. No doubt the placentas keep the milk coming and makes it richer but too rich will only give the pups diarrhea.

I always toss the spongey, gray at the top placentas that I can see were beginning detachment or aging earlier.

What do those of you with a bitch that has a c-section do? Do you have your vet save a few or give her none when she awakens? That's when they really need placentas because anesthesia slows down milk production usually.

Re: eating placentas

Yes, I do let my girls eat a fairly high percentage of placentas. It is part of nature and there is a purpose for their desire to eat the placentas. Yes, I get loose stools but rather have loose than constipation after whelping.

In regards to a c-section and milk production, one of my girls leaked so much milk as soon as she was put under, they had to mop it up off her belly before starting the c-section. We also collected colostrum from her while she was still out and donated it to the vet clinic to store in their freezer and use in the next 6 months on any puppies that would need it. She still had plenty of colostrum for her 8 puppies and she whelped those premmie pups at day 57. Her plentiful milk/colostrum just dripped out and allowed those wee ones an easy time of it.

No, I did not save any placentas after a c-section - my belief is that it is great during delivery and gives them the nutrients needed to continue whelping but not necessary after a c-section.