Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Adequan and pregnancy

I have a bitch that hurt her knee a while ago and is on Adequan shots.
Neither the lab nor the vet knows if it is safe or not for the pregnancy.
My girl came is heat before I was anticipating and now I don't know what to do. I can always wait, but I really wanted to breed her this time.
She is 3 years old and has all the clearances.
Does anybody has had any experience with this?

Re: Adequan and pregnancy

If you breed her, Adequan or not, her ligaments are going to loosen up and she is going to put stress on the knee with her weight gain. If it is just a temporary thing, get her better before having a totally lame girl for the rest of her life. If it doesn't get better, then you will maybe want to evaluate breeding her at all. I am not convinced that Labradors don't have some genetic knee issues.
Here's hoping for a speedy recovery!

You can call Novartis Animal Health to ask questions regarding the use of Adequan Canine on pregnant or lactating bitches. Their # is 1-800-458-0163.
I just read the insert from my box of Adequan and it states under "Reproductive Safety" "Studies to establish the safety of Adequan Canine in breeding, pregnant or lactating dogs has not been conducted"

Given the lack of information from everywhere so far, if it were my bitch I wouldn't attempt it. Either take her off it prior to a heat cycle or don't breed her until she's off it.

Moderate Labs
If you breed her, Adequan or not, her ligaments are going to loosen up and she is going to put stress on the knee with her weight gain. If it is just a temporary thing, get her better before having a totally lame girl for the rest of her life. If it doesn't get better, then you will maybe want to evaluate breeding her at all. I am not convinced that Labradors don't have some genetic knee issues.

This ^

x

Bingo
Moderate Labs

This ^

Not fair to her to have to carry an extra 10lbs on already compromised limbs.

Good luck

I wouldn't put undue stress on her limbs but to find an answer I would ask a good equine vet.