Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dry up drug???

5 weeks post whelping and the bitch will not allow the puppies to nurse. She is still making lots of milk. Is there anything that can help her dry up quickly?

Re: Dry up drug???

I just cut the food and water intake back to 1/2 their normal, pre pup amount for 4-5 days and she will dry up.

Just what I do, so JMO

Dried sage seems to work pretty well for me when drastic food cut backs aren't in the best interest.

That was uncalled for. They asked how to dry her off quickly, I answered. I start slowly cutting back food when the pups start eating food. My girl produces less milk as the pups require less milk, by the time my girls are done with their crews they are almost completly dried up, I have never had mastitis.

This works for me, my girls get their figures back and everyone is happy.

Just the way I have done it for over 20 years, so just my opinion I woiuld say.

I don't know if you were offended (or why) by my comment but it looks like it. Sorry if so--- I was just referring to some of my girls who may be a little on the thin side toward the end of nursing. If so, I hate to do the drastic food / water cuts that the books would suggest. Dried sage has worked instead. Have no idea really how it's worked but it was suggested to me several years ago, and I tried it. !

As the OP, I reread the answers several times. I don't see anything uncalled for or even remotely objectionable in WC's response. Thanks to both of you for your responses.

Since the nursing mom is eating much more than she would normally, just cutting her back to her normal amount seems to work well for me. It is more important to have no contact with the pups I think which I don't like to do unless I have to. That is why I let them stay together until 7ish weeks. But at 5 weeks I cut it back to 3 visits per day rather than being there full time. Then 2 visits, then 1 visit, then goodbye. If the mom doesn't let them nurse, then all the power to her and let the food cutback begin. It is good for the pups to learn "no" in dog language. I almost don't want my bitches to spoil them but I always let them decide.