Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Skin and ear infections again

I have a 10 year old girl who has been battling deep pyoderma and ear infections. We have done bloodwork including sending out for full thyroid panel which was within normal range. Other bloodwork is also within the normal range. Skin scrapings showed bacteria no yeast or fungus. Ear cultures also bacteria no yeast. She has been put on cephalexin for 6 weeks. Tresaderm for ear also tried zymox. Everything clears up then back again within 4 weeks. Now her nails are starting to split and recede including the quick. Very itchy, shedding, dry coat, licking feet. Been to a dermatologist with nothing definitive being found. She's on TOTW Pacific Stream, probiotics and fish oil. Tried Orijen and Acana but neither agreed, too high in protein, too much weight gain. Could something be lacking in her diet or something we are not seeing? Any suggestions on what to try next would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Skin and ear infections again

Just an FYI, if you are also supplementing with Fish Oil and there is already an adequate amount in the food you are feeding you can actually cause more harm than good. I had a dog whose wound was very delayed in healing and it finally closed with a different treatment and taking him off of Fish Oil,I had been feeding it as I always did even though I had changed foods, as it can block the infammatory response needed for wound healing. I feed Orijen and there is no need for additional Fish Oil supplementation on it, I would suspect that the TOTW is the same.

I would see if the vet can scope her ears while she's sedated and actually see what is in there. It could be that scar tissue is built up and trapping debris in the ear.
A follow up culture of the bacteria to pinpoint an antibiotic if this doesn't respond to the Keflex. Has the vet suggested a Chlorhexadine bath for the skin or Nolvasan for the ears?
Hope your girl has some relief soon.