Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stem Cell therapy experience

Has anybody done stem cell therapy to treat osteoarthritis?
What joint(s)? Results? Cost?
Reports are very good. I have a local clinic that is offering the in-home service and I want to do it on my old girl.
TIA

Re: Stem Cell therapy experience

I had it for a dog with elbow problems. The tab came to just over $4000. It was done at a specialty hospital in conjunction with the CA company. The stem cells were injected twice. There was no change whatsoever. Perhaps someone else will tell you they had better results.

I am skeptical when you say "in home'. My dog required surgery to obtain tissue to send to California. The lab there returns stem cells, which are injected in the dog. Additional stem cells are kept in California for future use, if enough stem cells are produced.

Thanks for your response.
Vets are now able to do the cell preparation or collection in the clinic and they do not need to send the fat to the Lab. That has brought costs a lot lower.
I'll wait for more inputs before taking a decision.

Maybe it is because I just saw the 60 Minutes show about the con artist selling stem cells to desperate people , but I would have to do some very serious & thorough research before I'd have anything to do with an "in home" service. It sounds fishy to me.

Try contacting Dr. Malathy Rao. I saw her give a talk on stem cell therapy and she is very knowledgeable in this field and has had great success with the treatment.

I am sure she would answer your questions. They also do the whole procedure in their clinic. Other than storing left over cells.

http://www.parkviewvet.com/