Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
daily routines

We are in the process of building a kennel for our dogs. We have 8 Labs at various ages at the present and 4 Frenchies, one old guy, 2 youngsters and an older female who is spayed. To date they have all been crated at night in our basement and rotated though the house during the day. I'm curious how everyone else handles large numbers of dogs. Do you have house dogs and others are just kennel dogs? How do you (if you do) intigrate your kennel dogs into your daily routine. Of course we have our old guy who sleeps in our room but it seems all I do is rotate age groups through the house at night so everyone gets "family time".

Re: daily routines

Maybe too many dogs?? Once you have a kennel and want to increase #'s, then it would be fine, but since I only have house dogs, I limited my number to the amount that I can take care of in the house and incorporate into my daily life. I crate the young dogs in my living room at night. The rest live in the house just like I do.

I have six but sometimes board my puppies too.

Here we have 2 play pastures where most spend much of the day. Dogs rotate by weeks into house or if they are raising a litter they are the house dog.

Dogs get attention/training when let out and in from play pastures and when fed, and evening potty time.

me
Maybe too many dogs?? Once you have a kennel and want to increase #'s, then it would be fine, but since I only have house dogs, I limited my number to the amount that I can take care of in the house and incorporate into my daily life. I crate the young dogs in my living room at night. The rest live in the house just like I do.

I have six but sometimes board my puppies too.

The above requires a good vacuum and being extra vigilant about manners ie. not begging at the dinner table, no up on furniture, manners when someone comes to the door etc.

We have 6 and any combination of boarders at certain times. It usually works well, sometimes someone's personality throws things off a bit but.....