Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cipro vs Baytril....

Cipro vs Baytril
Ok, so I have been hearing some things about how a 2 week dosage of Cipro or Baytril between cycles is helping with bitches that have smaller litters? I am curious if anyone has any input? I have talked with a couple different vets and they have said that they have done Cipro for other breeds and have gotten good results. Has anyone had any luck one way or the other? Is one better than the other?

I'm looking for intelligent postings please. I know most don't condone (nor do I) without a culture but I would like to know the other side. Thanks!!!

Hutch has a protocol of baytril for ten days starting on the day of the first breeding to help with small litters. I can't remember dosage, though. But, I do know someone who had 12 pups after several tiny litters or misses. Not enough evidence to say it definitely works, but who knows.

According to Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook, enrofloxacin has at least twice the bioavailability of ciprofloxacin after oral dosing in the dog.

I just went thru a "protocol" with a girl who has had several smaller litters (3-4) as a result of surgical implants. I talked to my regular (breeder) vet and my repro service about suggestions on how to get the numbers up and here's what we did.

A few months before she cycled, we did a guarded culture and found very high levels of e-coli bacteria. We did a 10 day treatment of antibiotic then, it was not Baytril so probably Cipro. When she came into heat I started her on another 7 or 10 (can't remember precisely) day treatment. She did concieve 5 puppies after a surgical.

HOWEVER, when we did all of this, my repo vet said that the probably benefit would be in the case of a natural or AI breeding but not so much a surgical. In a surgical implant the semen doesn't have to "Run the Guantlet" so to speak and would not have been exposed to the e-coli bacteria.

I will say, my repro vet did not recommend the antibiotic treatment without the guarded culture first. Perhaps identifying the bacteria determines which is the better antibiotic.

Hope this helps.