Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Handler Question

Junior handlers are not to accept payment in any form for handling a dog. If they do, they can no longer show in Juniors. I would not be surprised if the Judge thought about WB for her. I have had Judges tell me they were going to give my bitch WB and then the reason they chose not too. It has not been because of handling errors though.

My perspective is that if you are going to pay somebody to handle your dog, make sure you are getting what you pay for. There is more to being a professional dog handler than walking in the ring with a dog. Otherwise, take some handling classes and enjoy showing your dog yourself.

Chances are, you being outside the ring fuming was the reason your dear handler was shoveling food in the dog's mouth. You should have made yourself scarce, if your dog did not know this handler and you could not control yourself. And really how dare you assume YOU knew the judge was going to give your dog WB, you knew nothing, you were outside the ring , remember. Ringside judging is worth a grain of salt , and that's it. If you think you can do better, than you go in the ring, and let the Junior stand outside and critique your job. Once the dogs are being judged you should not disturb the ring procedure.

First, in fairness to the OP, she said she is new at this; she didn't know that you were not supposed to pay a jr. handler; second, and this is to the OP, if you are new at this, you will soon learn how difficult it is to finish a Labrador in comparison to other breeds. Most of us would be thrilled to get a Reserve, or even a placement, lol.

My suggestion - take classes, learn to show yourself; earn the minor points yourself and have some fun at this sport, and just maybe earn your girl's first point or points. I will never ever forget the first time a judge pointed to me for the points. Hire a handler if you want to for the larger majors to finish your girl. However, hiring a pro doesn't guarantee you winning the points, but it does give you an advantage.

Best of luck to you, take a deep breath, watch and learn (and don't pay a Jr again - consider this an expensive lesson).

Offer sound advice, not criticism - we all make errors at some point
First, in fairness to the OP, she said she is new at this; she didn't know that you were not supposed to pay a jr. handler; second, and this is to the OP, if you are new at this, you will soon learn how difficult it is to finish a Labrador in comparison to other breeds. Most of us would be thrilled to get a Reserve, or even a placement, lol.

My suggestion - take classes, learn to show yourself; earn the minor points yourself and have some fun at this sport, and just maybe earn your girl's first point or points. I will never ever forget the first time a judge pointed to me for the points. Hire a handler if you want to for the larger majors to finish your girl. However, hiring a pro doesn't guarantee you winning the points, but it does give you an advantage.

Best of luck to you, take a deep breath, watch and learn (and don't pay a Jr again - consider this an expensive lesson).

Wonderful, respectful, helpful, nonjudgmental answer!!!

Hats off to you, Offer Sound Advice!!!

As someone else mentioned, Jr.Handlers are never to be paid. NEVER, EVER! You put the child in jeopardy with the AKC by doing so. She probably didn't know although her parents should have made sure she did.

You got what you paid for, $50 is a small amount. When I buy a gift (which is allowed) for a Jr. Handler I spend at least $100 per day she handles my dog. I feel I'm generous but so is she with her beautiful handling skills.

If you can do that much better then RWB, stop cheapskating a Jr. handler and do it yourself. Switch before you hire a child. It's against the law and AKC rules. Go pay a Professional Handler allot more and you might not even get RWB.

I appreciate the 2 informative answers. You other mean chicks go away.

First of all no one answered my question: Can you or someone else take over handling your dog once the class has started?

Now watch all the mean girls come back ...the JUDGE waited for the handler to stop feeding her and when it was over I asked the judge if he was considering mine and he said "YES but he gave the handler time to stop feeding her and she didn't".

As a fairly new exhibitor your attitude is uppity calling some posters mean chicks.

You could have ruined a Junior Handlers entire Junior career by paying $50. Be humble, don't cop an attitude that your question wasn't answered without saying o'my, I didn't know not to pay a Junior.

I don't think a change should be made unless the handler is ill. You bought their services, finish them out and then don't use the handler again if dissatisfied.

I personally think you have much to learn including a little humility when you're wrong.

I couldn't agree more.

To the OP, more than likely the junior was also nervous as the judge was looking at your dog. Your whole attitude stinks. Oh it cost you a point? Big deal. I am sure you were fuming when the handler came out of the ring and you probably came down hard on the junior too.

If you don't like the way the junior presented your dog then do it yourself or don't be so cheap and hire a real pro.

If you wanted genuine responses, perhaps you should have just asked the question about changing handlers instead of creating all your drama.

Not-short-time bdr
As a fairly new exhibitor your attitude is uppity calling some posters mean chicks.

You could have ruined a Junior Handlers entire Junior career by paying $50. Be humble, don't cop an attitude that your question wasn't answered without saying o'my, I didn't know not to pay a Junior.

I don't think a change should be made unless the handler is ill. You bought their services, finish them out and then don't use the handler again if dissatisfied.

I personally think you have much to learn including a little humility when you're wrong.

A little off the subject, but is it customary, or even allowed, to ask the judge if he/she was considering a certain dog?

Seems a little unprofessional? Or is it done all the time?

Just wondering..

Fairly New Exhibitor
I appreciate the 2 informative answers. You other mean chicks go away.

First of all no one answered my question: Can you or someone else take over handling your dog once the class has started?

Now watch all the mean girls come back ...the JUDGE waited for the handler to stop feeding her and when it was over I asked the judge if he was considering mine and he said "YES but he gave the handler time to stop feeding her and she didn't".

You are quick to call others mean girls when what you are posting does not add up. You said that you asked the judge if he was considering your girl. Of course he would consider your girl, he is supposed to judge all the dogs in the ring. Also, you quote the judge as saying "Yes but he gave the handler time to stop feeding her and she didn't".

Why would the judge who is speaking say that "he" gave the handler time? Wouldn't he say "I gave the handler time."? Your post does not make sense. And I agree...by paying the junior you are creating a very bad situation for her. You are supposed to be familiar with the rules when you sign the entry form....better to read the rules and get yourself to handling classes rather that fuming ringside because of your own actions.

Confused and Mean chick, I feel exactly the same as both of you and the poster you quoted, not a short time breeder.

I think the OP has some learning to do about proper ringside etiquette.

No judge I know of would make any comment that could be taken as derogitory about a Junior. They're the future of the breed and children. They should be encouraged not knocked like the OP is doing. I can only imagine what she said to or faces made at the the Junior Handler.

Last, no one cost the owner a point. If anyone lost 1 point it was the dog. OP is just another owner living thru their dog. The dog is being shown, not the owner unless the judge is looking at the wrong end of the leash and the owner is there.

I appreciate the 2 informative answers.

To answer the original question...if the judge has already gone over the dog you cannot switch handlers. If it is before then it is up to the judge if a switch will be allowed.

One more thing: Another handler could have taken the dog into winners even if the child had handled in the classes. I would not have switched after the exam in winners, though! Congrats to the OP on getting RW--many would brag on a class win plus that!

I appreciate the informative answers.

I was very happy with my win.
Someone told me that you could go to the ring steward any time before the judge chooses winners and ask to handle your dog with a valid reason of course.
Is this true?

Fairly New Exhibitor
Someone told me that you could go to the ring steward any time before the judge chooses winners and ask to handle your dog with a valid reason of course.
Is this true?

What would your valid reason be and I'll tell you if that would work.

After the comments I got here today I think I'll just call AKC and ask someone who knows the rules.

I'll not allow people to create madness where there isn't any.

Why not read the rules? That's why the AKC has Rule Booklets ...also in PDF so you can read them online.

Fairly New Exhibitor
After the comments I got here today I think I'll just call AKC and ask someone who knows the rules.

Sounds good. Don't let the door hit you in your behind.

Good idea
Fairly New Exhibitor

Sounds good. Don't let the door hit you in your behind.

Before I hire a handler, I observe them very, very carefully. That way, I know what I am going to get. We don't all like the same thing, so do your homework.

I guess you guys chased off another one. What a fun sport we have.

well...

It just amazes me that such judgmental, unyielding, often times even hateful people are breeding such loyal, reasonable, generous, forgiving dogs??

Sometimes I just don't get life.....I think I'll go hug a dog...

good grief...
well...

It just amazes me that such judgmental, unyielding, often times even hateful people are breeding such loyal, reasonable, generous, forgiving dogs??

Sometimes I just don't get life.....I think I'll go hug a dog...

this has nothing to do with the OP question but these posts are the best on this thread, sad true. How can you own such wonderful labradors and act the way you do?

what makes it even worse you dont even care

Fairly New Exhibitor
Is this true?

Contact the AKC to get your answer.
As for your posts, it's doubtful to me showing your own dog would have changed much other than you most likely wouldn't have gotten RWB with you as the handler. You sound young, and without a doubt, very inexperienced. You've been given good advice here, one being you do not pay a junior handler. Instead of thanking experienced breeders on this forum, your posts are rude and disrespectful. Get off your high horse and show your own dog, it's not as easy as it looks. Kudos to the junior handler, she did you a favor.

...have a lot to learn? That is good advice for each of us.

Alot to learn
Fairly New Exhibitor
Is this true?

As for your posts, it's doubtful to me showing your own dog would have changed much other than you most likely wouldn't have gotten RWB with you as the handler. You sound young, and without a doubt, very inexperienced. You've been given good advice here, one being you do not pay a junior handler. Instead of thanking experienced breeders on this forum, your posts are rude and disrespectful. Get off your high horse and show your own dog, it's not as easy as it looks. Kudos to the junior handler, she did you a favor.

Don't we all....
...have a lot to learn? That is good advice for each of us.

Alot to learn
Fairly New Exhibitor
Is this true?

Obviously, some more than others.