Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Been of the circuit for a bit..advice?

I haven't been on the show circuit in about 2 years and I am just about ready to hop back in. Can anyone give me some advice on what particular things judges are looking for right now? Tail, coat, head, chest, etc. TIY

Re: Been of the circuit for a bit..advice?

Some things never change. That depends on the judge you are showing to. I've seen everything from fieldy to overdone (JMO of course) take home the points in the past year.

I've heard AB judges mention they are looking for kind expression of face. In my area, northern end of midwest, have seen mostly specialty type winning at AB shows - nice bone, heads, coats.

So basically anything goes, just depends on the judges! Thats good to know! I'll do some research on the judge before I enter so I can see what they typically put up for the points. Thank you!

Seems to me that AB judges are looking for leaner dogs; they are not putting up pigadors. This could be a good thing or just a passing phase. A lot also depends on what else is in the ring that day as always.

Always nice to see familiar faces back in the ring. Good luck. May you get reserve and I'll take winners.

It seems most of the AB judges are looking for dogs that are not overdone in the conformation recently discussed on this list. I've noticed too many of them don't look for proper real angle, turn of stifle and most of all, balance.

Some reward the handlers, so watch out for that. It can happen at the specialties too tho.

Other judges hope for their choice to place in Group and do go with a leaner, less coated and not as heavily boned Labrador. Again, each judge is looking for something different so investigate what that judge has put up in the past couple of years. I hope you enjoy getting back out there.

Unlike at the specialties, many all breed judges like a perfectly hand stacked dog that stands like a statue.

another breeder
Unlike at the specialties, many all breed judges like a perfectly hand stacked dog that stands like a statue.

There should be no difference how a dog is stacked at an all breed show or a specialty.

Do you find every judge expects every Labrador to stand like a statue? If yes, that is ridiculous.

My Labs go only to specialties and I don't use a professional handler. I was going to try AB's after hearing that some mediocre Labbies are put up entirely too often. If that's the case and the dogs need to stand like statues, I don't think my wagging tail, ass wiggling, happy Labs will do well at AB shows. They free stack beautifully. I prefer not hand stacking if possible or holding their tail out like a pole off their back for the judge.

I'll only give it a whirl a few times if what you say is always the case. I'll do my judge research prior, but not going to waste time, money and tons of mileage heading out to the Mid-West where some Lab breeders that reside there claim majors are easy to find and win.