General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What does Sh. mean in a title?

What does the Sh. mean in the following title

Sh Ch Anynameofdoghere

Re: What does Sh. mean in a title?

It probably means Show Champion - in the UK, to be a full Champion a dog must be qualified in the field. A show champion without the field qualification is designated as Sh Ch

Started Hunter in the US.

No
Started Hunter in the US.

It's Show Champion in the UK (or other European countries in which the full champion must have a field title).

In the US, UKC puts the titles ahead of the name, but "SH" is not one of them. See below:

From UKC's website:
CHAMPIONSHIP TITLES

STARTED HUNTING RETRIEVER (SHR) - The Started Hunting Retriever (SHR) title is attained by earning four (4) passes in the Started category. Points/passes earned in a higher category do not count towards this title. A maximum of ten (10) Championship points can be earned in the Started category towards a higher degree. Once points are earned in a higher category, the retriever may not return to Started and earn the SHR title.

HUNTING RETRIEVER (HR) - The Hunting Retriever (HR) title is attained by earning forty (40) Championship Points.

Points can be earned in Started, Seasoned or Finished. Dogs are not required to earn points in Started and/or Seasoned to earn this title. If only five (5) points are earned in the Started category, then forty (40) points may be earned in the Seasoned and/or Finished categories. If ten (10) points are earned in the Started category, then thirty 30 points may be earned in the Seasoned and/or Finished category.

HUNTING RETRIEVER CHAMPION (HRCH) - The Hunting Retriever Champion (HRCH) title is attained by earning one hundred (100) Championship Points. Sixty (60) of the one hundred (100) points must be earned from the Finished category. Points can be earned in Started, Seasoned or Finished. Dogs are not required to earn points in Started and/or Seasoned to earn this title.

A maximum of forty (40) points can be earned in the Seasoned category towards the Hunting Retriever Champion (HRCH) title, unless ten (10) Started Championship points were earned, then, a maximum of thirty (30) Seasoned Championship points can be earned toward the HRCH degree.

GRAND HUNTING RETRIEVER CHAMPION (GRHRCH) - The Grand Hunting Retriever Champion title is attained by earning two hundred (200) additional points in the Finished, Grand or Upland - forty (40) points max from Upland - categories after the HRCH title is earned for a total of three hundred (300) points. Eighty (80) of the additional two hundred (200) points, above the HRCH title, must be earned from passing two (2) Grand Hunts.

UPLAND HUNTER (UH) - The Upland Hunter (UH) title is attained by earning forty (40) Upland Hunter Championship Points. Upland points only count toward the Upland Hunter title and HRC’s Point Club Recognition Programs.

Nope again is right about the UKC titles.

And when the SH is in FRONT of the name it is an English show champion.

After the name.. it is SH ( AKC Senior Hunter)
Then there is the SR title which is NAHRA Started Retriever.

Don't you think breeders should put the type of Championship or title on their websites? For example, Am.CH., Canadian CH./ UKC CH. Gorgeous Girl.

Otherwise it get's confusing which some breeders want possible buyers to be and most don't.

I can't stand seeing Am CH ptd. Handsome Boy (ptd. sometimes in tiny print) so it appears the dog or bitch or dog is a CH. already. CH does not belong there until the certificate is issued.

Jmo.

I can't stand seeing Am CH ptd. Handsome Boy (ptd. sometimes in tiny print) so it appears the dog or bitch or dog is a CH. already. CH does not belong there until the certificate is issued.

Me too!!! I think it looks stupid to put that in front of a dog's name - the only people you see doing that are people who are trying to impress the gullible public when they are trying to sell overpriced puppies.

I don't mind seeing a dog designated as Champion pointed - at least it gives some information. I live in the U.S. and my dogs are AKC registered. If I use CH, it is AKC CH; otherwise I designate Can. CH (I show there too). Those who live in Canada probably do the opposite. I think if people are too lazy to figure it out it is their problem.

I really don't care what other people do - it is none of my business whether they are overly proud of their accomplishments or too modest. I see tons of other designations like BPIS (best puppy in show) when it was the only puppy in the show - if that makes people happy, then so be it. If I am planning on using the dog, I will do my homework to verify my standards are met, regardless of what the owner's standards are.