Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Strange Puppy Symptoms... no answers yet.

Everything was going normal from the beginning and then when the pups got to 7 to 9 weeks of age, strange and unusual symptoms have started to occur to 5 out of 11 puppies in one litter and then 2 out of 7 in another unrelated litter where some were fine and others weren't. The affected ones started to have arched backs followed by front leg tremors, exhaustion and paralysis of the hind quarters. The symptoms would come in episodes to where if they rested they were fine and then they would be ok for a while until they started activities again. The symptoms also didn't start until all of the puppies were in their new homes for 3 to 7 days. All of the puppies have been to a different vet and all haven't gotten little results as to what they think it could be. I have already tested the puppies for CNM since the symptoms resembled it but both parents were already tested as negative before the breedings also and I also got negative tests back on the puppies. The puppies also were eating normal and no diarrhea or vomiting. Has anyone seen symptoms like this in puppies this young? We are really wanted to rule out all that could be going wrong with these puppies as it was truly devastating.

Re: Strange Puppy Symptoms... no answers yet.

Sounds like vaccine related ??

Did both litters have the same vaccine? If so, what was it? How soon after being vaccinated did the symptoms start? I am sorry you are going through this nightmare. Hope you get an answer.

Reactions to the distemper vaccine can be neurological. interesting that so many of them were affected!

If the 2 litters are unrelated, the problem should be environmental. What are the odds of getting two unrelated litters come down with the same genetic decease?
What comes to mind is:
Vaccine reaction if they were vaccinated with same lot vaccines.
Poisoning/intoxication: Paint, plants, treated mulch/wood chips.
Puppy food. I would analyze the food in the future if you get the same symptoms again. Save a little of each bag and label it with the serial/lot number. How are you storing the food? any chance of contamination?
There have been a lot of rain in some parts of the country. Any mold build up in walls or even in the food?
I hope you find out what is going on. It sounds like some kind of neurological degeneration.

I read about the vaccines and thought about that too so looked that up also. They have all had the 5 ways and the two litters got the shots from two different batches with different numbers. The only thing they had in common were food and are always watched so not worried about any type of poisoning from around the yard. Different relations in both litters and both parents tested and clear for EIC, CNM, DM, Hips, Elbows and PRA. We got the puppies back and are replacing them and after getting the puppies and still working on tests, the only thing that we changed was the food and no other episodes have occured yet but still trying to find out what has caused this to happen.

does sound like something they interacted with just before leaving to new homes. Highly unlikely they would have the same issues from something in the new home.

The week before they left -
What about pest control around the yard?
did you use frabreeze cleaner, air freshener?
did you give heartworm prevention?
did you do flea control?
did you bath the pups?

food could have been contaminated or mold? How long where they on that bag?

what about neurological illness?

hope you figure it out.

What about tetanus? Some of the symptoms, not all, make me suspicious.

mycotoxins can cause tremors/neurological symptoms - any chance of pups eating moldy nuts? (just one cause, not the only one)

I would say tetanus with the symptoms too but it sure sounds like the puppy food.
If you aren't seeing symptoms now are they on the same food. Have any of the Vets checked their liver enzymes?

Gussie
Everything was going normal from the beginning and then when the pups got to 7 to 9 weeks of age, strange and unusual symptoms have started to occur to 5 out of 11 puppies in one litter and then 2 out of 7 in another unrelated litter where some were fine and others weren't. The affected ones started to have arched backs followed by front leg tremors, exhaustion and paralysis of the hind quarters. The symptoms would come in episodes to where if they rested they were fine and then they would be ok for a while until they started activities again. The symptoms also didn't start until all of the puppies were in their new homes for 3 to 7 days. All of the puppies have been to a different vet and all haven't gotten little results as to what they think it could be. I have already tested the puppies for CNM since the symptoms resembled it but both parents were already tested as negative before the breedings also and I also got negative tests back on the puppies. The puppies also were eating normal and no diarrhea or vomiting. Has anyone seen symptoms like this in puppies this young? We are really wanted to rule out all that could be going wrong with these puppies as it was truly devastating.

Are you feeding life's abundant's?

kim - what the heck kind of question is that?

They have all been doing fine once we changed the food as far as we can tell and the episodes stopped. It has just been very puzzling to us as to what could of caused it and I wasn't sure if anyone else has had those problems. Are there food recalls that I should worry about or is there certain foods that have been causing similar reactions to others? They weren't around any chemicals and the two litters were never even together themselves. We have had bloodwork done on two puppies so far and are still waiting results for the second.

I think the above posters are on the mark about environmental concerns. Some pesticide, some wormers, etc. can cause such symptoms, as can moldy grain used in dog food. I have added a clickable link below to some recalls from the past month or two, in particular, for aflatoxin. Have you used any of the foods recalled?

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recalls/

Thanks so much for the link! I don't see the type of food on there. Pups were on concrete and no pesticides around them and I use pyrantel wormer. I will try to think of anything else that they might could have been around.

Am not a breeder, never have been, never will be, but your problem is so acute and unusual. I did some researching on another angle. Is your concrete new? I found a link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine that some concretes contain Melamine to make them less porous. Besides laying on it, being exposed to concrete dust, or licking can be a source. I know it seems far fetched, but racking my brain for an answer that might help.

It does seem to be the only common element besides the food.

Had a pup get into fertilizer once that acted exactly like that. Was/is fine - no long term issues.

moldy food can contain mycotoxins

Were they treated with Metronidazole?We saw neurological symptoms in 2 pups in a litter that were on Metro.Both recovered with no lasting effects.

I can't think of anything else that hasn't been mentioned.

At this point, I think it's time to pull out the big guns. If I were you, I would contact and go to a well-known, Veterinary college. Here is a list throughout the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_schools_of_veterinary_medicine#Schools_of_veterinary_medicine_in_the_United_States_of_America

Any news since you last posted OP? I hope everyone is doing well.

Havent had anymore signs showing in the pups and all are doing fine and happy. Not sure what the cause was and still waiting on some test results to come back but are happy that all are doing good!

Done It
kim - what the heck kind of question is that?

The reason I asked if the OP was feeding life's abundant's was because I have had these same issue's in two litters.This food was kinda pushed down my throat by one of my breeders I bought a dog from. Then I suggested it to my puppy buyers and found out this food was causing the problem. As soon as the pups went back to purina pro plan for about two weeks all problems went away.

Gussie
Havent had anymore signs showing in the pups and all are doing fine and happy. Not sure what the cause was and still waiting on some test results to come back but are happy that all are doing good!

I'm happy to hear it. I hope all tests are normal and you never see anything like this again.

Kim, Yes, they were on LA and when I switched them while doing testings, they all got better and I switched to Pro Plan too. We are still testing but haven't found answers yet. Could you email me at the link below? I wanted to see when all of this occured to see if the food was purchased at the same time.