Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mating when not in heat

I have a female (smaller terrier breed 30lbs) that came into heat late in Sept. We kept her apart for approx 4-5 weeks, and she still tied with my lab jumped a4 foot block wall. This was a horrible sight.

Here it is 3 months later and she is still mating with my male with a full tie (same breed).

I was under the impression she would only accept a male if she was in heat? What would be the reasoning for her to want to do this other than the obvious,,
(Shes a TART)

We are wanting to breed her, but was wondering if there might be an underlying hormone issue that we need to address. Also is there any physical affects that could happen with her and a much larger male.

Thank You for any help you may have.

Re: Mating when not in heat

Justa Novice
I have a female (smaller terrier breed 30lbs) that came into heat late in Sept. We kept her apart for approx 4-5 weeks, and she still tied with my lab jumped a4 foot block wall. This was a horrible sight.

Here it is 3 months later and she is still mating with my male with a full tie (same breed).

I was under the impression she would only accept a male if she was in heat? What would be the reasoning for her to want to do this other than the obvious,,
(Shes a TART)

We are wanting to breed her, but was wondering if there might be an underlying hormone issue that we need to address. Also is there any physical affects that could happen with her and a much larger male.

Thank You for any help you may have.

And why is your male breeding a bitch you say is not in heat? Are you sure she doesn't come in every 3 mo.'s?

Why are you only blaming only her? He's mounting, pentrating and tying a bitch you claim is not in heat or at the end of her heat cycle. Some girls are bred as late as Day 26, 28. She might have silent heats or you're not checking her well enough to see she is in a heat cycle.

Feel fortunate she hasn't gotten pregnant and until you get help, keep them away from each other.

Also, have you done any clearances yet on both boy and girl that are intact if you're planning on breeding her? How old are each of them?

You need to see or speak to a repro vet about both of them.