Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Breed type

I am looking for some honest discussion about breed type in the Labrador.

As a new-to-the breed person I keep hearing people talk about this dog or that dog is dripping in breed type.

So, what is it considered?? Head, coat, tail? Are they just considering conformational attributes or does it include working ability? Does a type-y dog have to have showy attitude or can they be laid back or antisocial?

Re: Breed type

Yes! The hallmark that makes a Labrador a Labrador and not another breed is Head, Coat, Tail, Temperament. Read the breed standard and it will describe the head to you, what the coat should be and how it should wrap the tail which should look like an Otter's tail. Temperament does not drip off a dog but should be calm, happy, willing, intelligent, friendly.
Everyone has a picture in their mind as to what the ideal Labrador looks like. There will be certain nuances but over all it is a Labrador.

Unfortunately, working ability is seldom part of the equation for people who use that phrase.

Head coat and tail, as described by the standard, are very important.

The proportion between the length and height of the dog is fundamental to what it means to be a Labrador. I think a good Labrador is of moderate substance and angulation as well as being athletic and active for field work.

Sooo, head, coat, tail, height, length, weight, and temperament are what type means to me.

Peggy Stevens
Unfortunately, working ability is seldom part of the equation for people who use that phrase.

http://retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36300&highlight=conformation