Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Encouraging AKC Registration

In talking with some of my puppy buyers, some are interested in registering their dogs with AKC, some don't care since the pups are "just pets".

Curious as to how the rest of you encourage buyers to register their pups with AKC. Do you do it for them? Any special tricks?

I know AKC has their motives for dog registerations, but frankly, I don't think that matters much to the general public.

I am kind of leaning towards naming and registering the ones who don't care and letting those who do care, name their own.

TIA!

Re: Encouraging AKC Registration

I tell my puppy buyers to bring a check with them to the pick up appointment, to make out to AKC. I have them register the puppy, with either an approved name they have selected, or one from a list I have available. I have them register the microchip with AKC CAR at the same time. I also gather all of the registrations together and mail them all in at once. This way I know that the puppies going to pet homes remain on Limited reg. I pretty much make registration non negotiable from the get-go.

I tell my buyers that their registration fee goes towards the support of AKC programs such as Search and Rescue, the AKC Canine Health Foundation, the AKC CGC program, government relations, Public Education,etc... That they also get a free 6 month trial of pet insurance, first vet appointment paid for (through AKC), and a 10% off discount to the Dog website for toys and dog stuff.

I tell them that the pedigree is pretty and guide them to purchase the Sliver package, unless they really don't want the framable pedigree.

This may help you come up with ideas.
http://www.akc.org/public_education/regpromo.cfm

I do it for them, as part of their purchase price. I tell them to think about and email me with their choice for registered names and then I do everybody's registration a couple of weeks after they go home.

I have started using the Full Registration form. This must be mailed in. I give each of the pups a name beginning with my kennel name and select limited registration except for my keepers. I microchip them and include this information. I put my name on the microchip registration and the AKC form. Then, all that is needed is a transfer form. After AKC receives your Full Litter Registration form, they send back an individual registration slip for each puppy. I have an envelope ready to send to AKC and I write the check for each transfer after new owners sign and fill out information when they get their puppy.

If the new owner wants to change the name; they can do so. They cannot take off your kennel name.

I try to leave nothing to chance. I want the microchip # linked to the dog and me as the breeder.

Thanks for ideas! :)