Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Recovery from Liver Disease! (long but interested to know similar experiences)

I am "cautiously optomistic" in reporting my 10.5 year old male, Buie, has overcome some kind of liver disease in two months. My feeling is that there was a bad batch of food. Here's what happened:
About 2.5 months ago, I fed Buie from a brand new bag of Purina ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach. It is Salmon-based and he had done well on it for years, great coat. When I gave him the new bag, he literally backed away from his food bowl and refused to eat it. I left it down for him, he finally did eat it that night, did the same thing the next day. I doctored the food with canned food so he would eat, he did eat it for several days in a row, then developed severe diarrhea. My younger girl also started vomiting on this bag of food. I cooked chicken and rice for several days, bought another bag of the Proplan Sensitive Skin and Stomach and gradually weaned them both back on that. Again, diarrhea, this time blood-tinged, and a vomiting puppy. I took the food back, reported the adverse event, and bought Blue Buffalo fish based food.
Buie stayed sick for several days, having diarrhea, drinking a HUGE amount of water, and was losing weight rapidly. He looked like crap.
I took him into the vet and we did some bloodwork which showed moderately elevated liver enzymes. He was lethargic and drinking so much water, he would drink the bowl dry, then sneak off to the horse pasture and drink from the stock tank. He was also ravenously hungry and started wolfing down horse manure---what the heck was going on?
I did an ultrasound and the liver was small and somewhat fibrosed, indicating, they said, chronic liver disease. We put him on: SAM-e, milk thistle, Ursodiol, pred, vitamin E and an antioxiant vitamin. Plus the Blue Buffalo food.
He gradually started getting his energy back, and last week I redid his liver panel. Buie's vet was smiling when he saw him, he looked so much better, and the liver panel was NORMAL!!!
I couldn't be happier but am still not sure what that was all about. My feeling was it was a bad batch of food (it happens) because of his rapid recovery. I'm glad I documented everything and did the testing, and I am going to pursue this a bit more.
I am curious if anyone else has had this rapid type of turnaround and if so, was it attibuted to food? There have been many reports of bad pet food in recent years from aflatoxins or other toxins, which DO affect the liver.
I am slowly weaning him off all drugs, so we shall see. I'm just glad I got my boy back!

help!!! pop up menu creator Pro will not work with my exp 8

does anyone have any advise for me,

since I up-dated my exployer to 8, my Pop up menu creator Pro will not work.

Re: Recovery from Liver Disease! (long but interested to know similar experiences)

Years ago I had a lab with a severely compromised liver with levels indicating a state of almost complete non-function. The vet put her on UD and bi-monthly prophylactic antibiotics since any infection tended to shut down her liver completely. After six months of very low protein food and a great deal of weight loss (She was Lean to begin with, but lost 20 pounds) her liver function had improved to satisfactory levels , although bordering the low abnormal range. Ater six more months on a modified diet the liver had rested and regenerated itself to where all of her liver function tests remained in the "normal" range for the rest of her life. She lived until age twelve. The vet stressed that when the liver had been so badly challenged, it needed to "rest" in order to see if it could recover. "resting" meant no stresses to the digestive process, low protein and no infections. I credit him with saving her life, but he was too modest to take anything but minimal credit. I loved that man!
Good luck to your boy.

Re: Recovery from Liver Disease! (long but interested to know similar experiences)

I had a very similar incident 4 mos ago with an otherwise very healthy bitch of 6 yrs. Suddenly turned her nose up at ALL food.

Liver enzymes moderately elevated. Only vomited once or twice.

Regimen of antibiotics, SAM-e, milk thistle, Vit E and home cooked chicken/salmon and rice for 3 wks normalized the enzymes. However, she has never totally regained her appetite.

She has always been on Proplan- mix of Adult Beef and Large Breed. None of my others affected and most on the same food.

I am now giving her the Proplan Sens Stomache/Salmon you use, but she refuses it unless I add some yogurt or a taste of canned food.

I would like to know what you discover.

Thanks

Re: help!!! pop up menu creator Pro will not work with my exp 8

breeder

The only thing I would suggest is to report the problems to the developer of that software package. They may have a patch or an upgrade that fixes the problem.

Good luck with it.

Susan
breeder

The only thing I would suggest is to report the problems to the developer of that software package. They may have a patch or an upgrade that fixes the problem.

Good luck with it.

For another stand alone or add on program, the advice Susan gave is right. As you paid for your program they manufacturer should be obligated to find out why the 2 are conflicting. They may need to contact Microsoft for some new HTML or MS may need to make a small adjustment in Internet Explorer that we all have to download. So make sure you do your windows updates.

Luck be with you.

I did contact manufacture, they said that is unfortunate, and I could down grade to exployer 7, or get the version 5 up-date for free.

But he did not tell me where to get the version 5 update for free.

I sent 3 e-mails, but no reply.

I was wondering if anyone had any info as to were to get the up-grade