Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Puppies - when stop soaking food, when go to 2 feedings a day

We stop soaking food at 7 weeks but still serve with water.

We go to 2 meals per day at 12 weeks.

BRDR II
I haven't had pups for awhile. I forget when to stop soaking food and what to tell new families about when to go from 3 to 2 feedings a day.

Re: Puppies - when stop soaking food, when go to 2 feedings a day

I continue soaking until the litter has left and I advise my buyers to continue to do it and gradually phase it out, based on the puppy's readiness. Some puppies scarf down their food so fast, that I know of one 8 week old Labrador puppy that was in its home 3 or 4 days, scarfed down the dry food, which it had been on prior to leaving the breeder's. The puppy foamed at the mouth, ran to the front door, then keeled over dead, from choking. I do find that it takes a little while for them to lose that competitive spirit of eating that they have from being in a litter. Even if you feed them separately, they know the others are there and eating is often a race. I have a 4 month old here who is still getting her food ever so lightly moistened. I know people who soak all their dog's life, and for some of my dogs in the past, I have done so as well. Each dog has different needs.