Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pad hair

Does anyone else trim the hair that sticks out from between the paw pads? Noticed my one boy is getting a bit hairy and just thought I'd ask.

Re: Pad hair

I normally do not; BUT, if I'm going to an indoor show with slippery floors, I will, so the dog has better traction/footing, to prevent slips.

I do for the All Breed shows. I have noticed that it looks more professional and the dogs look better groomed if the hair is not all over the place... I think of it as an interview with a potential employeer. I wouldn't want my hair to be all crazy and all over the place so I trim the dogs to make them look better groomed.... Specialties I am a little more relaxed and don't worry about to much of trimming since most are outdoors and the judges can't see paws in the grass anyways. Hope this helps :)

Just started doing this at the last indoor show and for indoor obedience. Not only does the dog slip less, less mud is tracked in the house and car as an added benefit.

I don't. Labs are supposed to be "natural". Too many people over do the grooming . Mousing and fluffing up coat. Trimming and cutting coats and tails to look more correct.

I trim the hair for inside shows. I think it makes for better traction and makes the feet look neater. My dogs have nice neat feet to begin with but I like the look of small, tight feet

I trim the hair between the paw pads. Better traction and less tracked into my house :)