Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Speaking of Dog food

I'd be curious to know if anyone out there has been using the Tractor Supply house brand "4 Health".

I'd changed from Eukanuba to Proplan CR a while ago because of the price difference but have found the price of food overall creeping up.

I have a friend using the 4 health and her black boy in particular has a gourgeious coat So I decided to take a look at it.

The ingredients start with good stuff, chicken, brown rice and chicken by products. One thing to note is that it's gluten free. we talked for a while with the store manager who was very knowledgeable about the food and he spoke to the negative effects of Gluten on skin.

The one thing that I did notice was that it does contain Flaxseed. As I recall there have been past posts on a possible relationship between flaxseed and reproduction.

Does anyone have any meanigful insight? Good, bad or indifferent? At $30 a 37.5 Lb bag, it's about $10 cheaper than the current price of PPCR.

Re: Speaking of Dog food

The Tractor Supply food 4Health is made for TSC for Diamond, based on their Diamond Naturals formula. There are a few more 'joint health' nutrients in the performance formula. I am not sure about the minor variations in the other formulas of 4Health.

This may be a fine food for your own adult dogs, but what about your puppy buyers? Can they get to a Tractor Supply? I know the nearest on to me is about 100 miles. Would I drive that far for dog food? Nope! Use something that your puppy people can actually purchase!

We use Tractor Supply 4 Health Salmon and Potato and love it, it is just like the TOTW ( which is also a Diamond top of the line) in ingredients for a lot less. The dogs love it and switching from Fromm to this about 6 weeks ago has already improved dry coats. Stools are great. Weight stays where it should be without having to constantly increasing or decreasing amount. We plan on staying on this. For us it is easy to get. This may not be the case for some without a Tractor Supply close. I understand that Kirkland at Costco also has a food like the TOTW for a lot less as well. We don't have Costco's here so glad to find this food. The 4 Health Puppy is very close to the Salmon and Potato so we just feed everyone the same food. Flax seed is a good ingredient.

I agree with your issue and would likely still raise pups on Proplan. In that instance price is not a issue and I have no beef with Proplan.

I'm just looking for feedback on the 4 health, good, bad or indifferent.

love it
Flax seed is a good ingredient.

I have heard that flax seed is not a good ingredient in dog food, especially breeding bitches. I can't remember why though, is flax seed a phyto-estrogen?

I googled it and can't find anything but good things to say about flax seed in the canine diet, great for coats