Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CranCaps

At training class tonight we were discussing what we feed/don't feed our pregnant bitches. One woman mentioned her cranberry powder that she gets from a health store, specifically said it should not be given to dogs in whelp.

Anybody hear of this before? It was news to me.

TIA Thanks.

Re: CranCaps

I've not heard this before, either. Could she possibly be mixing up cranberry with red raspberry leaves, which some folks feel can cause uterine contractions and early whelpings/abortions?

Here's what my friend came back with after I asked:

Cranberry: Looked at the bottle again and this is what it says “Safe use in pregnant animals or animals intended for breeding has NOT been proven.”

Raspberry: I am not sure when I should start giving her the Raspberry?? It sounds like the person on your forum says it is thought it could cause early whelping and abortions??? Which is the opposite of what it says online for Raspberry. Is there any way to validate when to start using this and if I should be using this. Below is what the site says:

{Used for centuries, Red Raspberry Leaves has a well-earned reputation as the safest of all uterine and pregnancy herbs. Wholistic Red Raspberry Leaves™ supports the reproductive system, especially during pregnancy where it strengthens and tones the muscles of the pelvic region, including the uterus itself.

Wholistic Red Raspberry Leaves™ is beneficial through pregnancy and at birth due to the nourishing source of vitamins such as A, B, C and E, and minerals such as phosphorous, potassium and to the strengthening power of fragrine - an alkaloid which gives tone to muscles.

The benefits before and throughout pregnancy include:
• Raspberry leaf is an excellent fertility herb when combined with Red Clover.
• Raspberry leaf tones the uterus and helps prevent miscarriage and postpartum hemorrhage from a relaxed or atonic uterus.
• Raspberry leaves' support gentle relief of nausea and stomach distress throughout pregnancy.
• By toning the muscles used during labor and delivery, Raspberry leaf supports delivery and recovery.}

Personally (this is Annmarie again ) I have never given the raspberry, but her response was interesting.

Once again, would love folks input. Thanks all.

She is looking at Red Raspberry use for humans. Read this: http://www.dogchannel.com/media/holistic-dog-care/the-facts-about-rearing-dogs-holistically.aspx.pdf

I guess it depends which 'expert' you want to believe.

Why would you give a bitch in whelp cranberry anyway ? Why do some start giving them things they don't need or have never had before. A healthy bitch should be fine and a very good dog food goes a long way.

I give my dogs cranberry pills (Trunature from Costco) and after I AI'd my girl, I just pulled her off them. The only supplement she got during pregnancy was salmon oil.

I don't know if the cranberry is good for them or not while pregnaunt, but since you shouldn't "supplement" them, I thought it would be best to err on the side of caution.

While I cannot comment on Cranberry...my vet and I have had a discussion in the regards to use of red raspberry leafs. She explained to me that the RRL causes hormonal changes. While it can help prepare the uterine horns for pregnancy...it can mess with contractions, milk production and more later on. If using RRL, wean your bitch off of them before they hit the 30 day mark. Use of RRL can cause abortions and early labor...but it can also cause the labor contractions to be uneffective, therefore sending your girl in for a c-section. As an FYI...Bitch pills contain RRL.