Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
16 day old puppy problem?

Took my puppy to the Vet because he developed a little congestion Friday morning. He is eating between the congestion but takes breaks. No temp. Vet says lungs are clear and put him on Clavamox and a little droper of a nasal decongestant. He still has the congestion today and am getting worried. Has anyone had this? I hope it will clear up and its a head cold, but very worried......

Re: 16 day old puppy problem?

Was the Mom exposed to kennel cough? That's what it sould like to me. Keep a close eye on the rest of the litter too. That congestion--it's hard to get things right after that starts...hoping for the best for you.

No Mom has not left my sight for many months and been to the Vets for a c-section and the Vet says its not Kennel Cough as they haven't seen a case in a long time. So, No to being exposed to Kennel Cough. Its not a cough, its congestion. Its also a singleton puppy.Thats why I am extra worried.

Kennel Cough in young puppies like that express themselves just as you discribe. They don't cough just sort of girgle when you pick them up. I would bet that's what the issue is.
A young pup like that needs to be on antibiotics just to prevent a secondary infection.

Yes, that's why I asked if thye Mom had been exposed to kennel cough. I had a pregnant bitch get it from another bitch I had had out at a show. The Mom was ok...but we lost half the litter. They were just about your pup's age...very congested no actaul coughing. We had antibiotics, ringers, theophelene (sp?) for breathing. It was heartbreaking. Many years ago.

The girl would not have to be exposed, in our case, I was from going to a show. I must have brought it in and infected our litter.
If one had been around other dogs.....anywhere.......you could have infected that baby.

We've had 2 week old puppies come down with nasty congestion colds where they had to be on meds. I made a tent over the whelping box, using a humidifier with vick drops in the dispenser. They got better but it took awhile as I remember. I don't know where they got the cold from. I did take the mom to the vets to get radiographed after the 3rd puppy was born just to see if she had retained any more puppies. Maybe the vet's office..

Breeder
No Mom has not left my sight for many months and been to the Vets for a c-section and the Vet says its not Kennel Cough as they haven't seen a case in a long time. So, No to being exposed to Kennel Cough. Its not a cough, its congestion. Its also a singleton puppy.Thats why I am extra worried.

Thrice we picked up kennel cough from the vet office. Being your bitch had a c-section there, it's quite possible the pup or Mum carried KC out of there. It sounds as if the vet gave you the right medication to avoid a secondary infection if it were KC. Maybe the vet doesn't want to worry you but as a few others said, it sounds like KC in a young pup.

Try not to worry. Good health to Mum & pup.

This is what I think is going on. The puppy is getting a huge milk flow and can't swallow fast enough and so it goes into the nose and he aspirates it. You must monitor the nursing and keep a tissue handy and wipe any milk coming out his nose while he's nursing. Keep wiping it away with a clean tissue. If he can't handle it and you hear the congestion pick him up and hold him face down and wipe the milk away as it runs out his nose. Keep it up until you don't hear the rattling. Of course check for cleft palate, but my guess he has aspirated. You don't want pneumonia setting in. I've had puppies have this problem for a few days until they are big enough to handle that strong flow. Good luck.

I am not a newbie and have not had this before. I know all about feeding a pup. I know aspiration, not this, and am certain its Kennel cough. The Vet didn't want to scare me and he's probobly responsible for having it. Lungs are totally clear. He is doing better today and has been on his Clavamox since Friday morning. Thank you all for your advise. Thia could be a 2 week deal for him. Thanks Greg for your email.
I hope he will continue to be as strong as he is.

Whatever it is, the pup is a good age to get well fast and not have any other problems. Follow your Vet's advice and don't be scared to call the Vet and report that it isn't getting better, ask how long before you should expect improvment and when should you worry. At least the puppy is eating well. Good luck and think positive.

I had an almost identical thing happen to a pup, though mine was around 31 day old. He had congested breathing on Sunday and by Monday, he was very snotty, not just a little wet nose. Breathing snot bubbles got me kind of concerned. KC has been rampant here as of late and despite avoiding all dog places, shows, not wearing shoes in the house, making everyone wash their hands and wear clean clothes etc., I was very worried. Vet said his lungs were fine (what I was really worried about) and prescribed Clavamox. Pup acted and ate just fine too. None of the other pups in the litter were affected. He is just fine now.

The day before this all came about, I had a visitor who followed all proper protocol. After she left, I noticed one of the pups smelling quite heavily of fabric softener/dry sheets. I don't use heavily scented stuff, so I really noticed it. I don't recall which pup really smelled of it, but the pup that got sick was the favored on that day and was held quite a bit. I suspect the pup had a reaction to whatever she used on her clothes. Will probably never know, but it makes sense. Dang dryer sheets give me a headache, can only imagine how all that stuff effects a poor pup!

I had a whole litter come down with kennel cough at 2 1/2 weeks old. As others have said, at that age they get congested but don't cough. My vet prescribed either Amoxi or Clavamox (I can't remember) and they all did well. So prognosis is good for your little guy.

This was a particularly aggravating situation since they got it because the handler failed to inform me that my male (their father) had raging kennel cough when I was supposed to pick him up. If I had known, I would have arranged to drop him directly home (didn't live with me) but because I didn't know, I went too late and had to bring him home and into the house since it was December and too cold to leave a sick dog in my van overnight. Hence, all my adults and the puppies (which at that point were 10 days old) were exposed. Arrgh!

Thanks everyone, the little singleton continues to improve with a little congestion still. He eats well and only clear discharge from nose and normal stool. He will be 3 weeks Thursday. He is a little fighter. The Clavamox and decongestant nose drops are helping alot.