Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ovariectomy or Ovariohysterectomy in older girl

any one doing the ovariectomy as opposed to the ovariohysterectomy? I know that Hutch mentioned it. I have to spay one of my older girls...should've done it before now, but she is 8 and I'm thinking of just doing the ovariectomy. any thoughts?

Re: Ovariectomy or Ovariohysterectomy in older girl

I an interested in this too. I assume you mean the laproscopic ovariectomy. I will be spaying a girl next year and am considering it. I heard of one bitch that had the procedure who had a lot of discomfort and whined for 3 days after the surgery. I'd be very interested in hearing from others about their experiences.

Have done my fifth via Laparoscopy now. It is the only way to go. My girls are not sore, they have virtually zero recovery time.

It is a bit more expensive, but they do so well. I am blessed to have my vet on the cutting edge of this and with the proper tools and training.

Highly recommended.

interested too
I heard of one bitch that had the procedure who had a lot of discomfort and whined for 3 days after the surgery. I'd be very interested in hearing from others about their experiences.

That's so sad. Didn't the vet send her home with pain meds?

The vet refused to do an ovariectomy, stating that there's an increased risk of pyometra - which is rubbish (or so I have read). My bitch cried a lot after her (regular) spay. (Maybe because she was older, or maybe because she wasn't seen until late in the day). I had requested Tramadol instead of the usual NSAID, and it did the trick.

Pain delays healing, so why put them through it unnecessarily?

I know the bitch had both injected pain meds and pills. Steve, where are you located? I like the idea of leaving the uterus, but am worried about the side effects and it sounds like your vet's procedure does not produce them.

I leave one overy in.