Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Yeast infection in ear luck with purple solution?

Just a note of caution.....before applying medication or cleaner to infected ears you want to be sure that the ear drum is intact.

Before trying that concoction, you better be certain it is a yeast infection. I have a co-owner that insisted on using that stuff, and the poor bitch didn't have a yeast infection, it was far more serious. And by the time I convinced her that a VET visit was necessary to determine what she was treating the bitch had pseudomonas ! And that is not something to play with , guessing games are not a good idea !

1/3 cup bleach to 1 cup water. Wipe ears out with solution on 4X4 gauze. Safe on pregnant bitches. Just use one day 2 times - morning and night and issue is cleared.

Bleach in their ears?

huh?
Bleach in their ears?
I would think that is dangerous to the ear drum if not the canal too.

As far as I know the purple stuff is not dangerous at all. Of course if in any doubt, speak to your vet especially with steroid ear preparations.

me too?
huh?
Bleach in their ears?
I would think that is dangerous to the ear drum if not the canal too.

As far as I know the purple stuff is not dangerous at all. Of course if in any doubt, speak to your vet especially with steroid ear preparations.

That was my response also when the vet gave me the recipe. Of course, I check with my otoscope to be sure drum is intact first. I have a professional otoscope (pricey but needed it with my children) and never witnessed even the slightest excoriation of canal or typmanic membrane. I'd rather use it than steroids myself but do understand the concern.

The vet was a horse vet, so maybe it is questionable for dogs.