Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Opinions... Input...

Amen to that.... good lord- if I really added up ALL of my dog related expences... I think they take away half of my outside income or more... BUT IT IS ALL WORTH IT! Maybe some people are lucky enough to break even in the end... but I definatly don't, and probably never will, but I'm okay with that

Nancy, I agree with you... and this family did do as much pedigree reasearch as they could (no known history on top or bottem of this kind of issue). It's just a tough situation, when a dog isn't able to do what they were bred to do at all. These folks are a good family, and will give this pup the best quality of life they can, reguardless of it's contribution to the family buisness (Guide lodge for Ducks and Geese).

Carrie,

What state was the puppy purchased in? From your email address you live in Alaska but was the pup born outside Alaska? Some states have lemon laws and even if there isn't a guarantee the buyer may be able to get compensated.

I don't think anyone here should be judging the breeder's intentions with a littermate especially since the affected pup was not raised at the breeders home. Hopefully the buyer gave the information to the breeder and he/she can make educated decisions regarding the littermate and Dam.

I hope the pup can get some relief.
Jan

Jan, I'll pass them along to the owner. I believe the breeder was in Oregon- but don't know how the legalities work from there. The puppy's owner has kept the breeder in the loop during the whole ordeal.
Thanks for the well-wishes for this pup- they'll do all they can for him, Carrie

tough ethical question
Breeders can and should claim dog show expenses as tax deductions

No they can't, unless they are running their breeding operation as a business! Those of us who are ethical, hobby breeders don't have that luxury, and even those who do don't get the full amount: deducting $1000 will only get you a credit of a couple of hundred dollars depending on your tax bracket.

The way you are describing it, this is a business that bought a "product" from another business. That's a whole 'nuther discussion. Think about it like buying a used car. Maybe it had really low mileage but it turns out it's a lemon. Your first recourse is the seller's warrantee. The warrantee might only cover the engine (hips and eyes) and not the tires (hocks). There might be a lemon law that applies. Investigate that. Cars (dogs) are very complex. The problem could have been caused by the new owner who didn't change the oil at the right time. Although it gains you some sympathy votes, it doesn't matter why you bought the car (dog), it matters what was promised by the seller. Did the seller guarantee that the dog would succeed at being a hunting dog? What if the dog wasn't successful in hunt training? Would they seek a refund then as well for the same reason (he can't do the job)?

I have to admit that I find it repugnant to consider the adoption of any living being as a "business" transaction. I still stand by my original opinion that the new owner has a moral obligation to accept full responsibility for the pup.

I don't think this forum will get you the answers you are looking for. I suggest contacting a lawyer.