Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Breed to aunt like mom?

Breeder
That's a really tight linebreeding (inbreeding), but yes, they have different genetics! If they had the exact same genetics they'd be identical twins. It's like asking if you and your siblings all have the same DNA - unless you are an identical twin the answer is no.

It's not considered inbreeding, just a tight line breeding. No wonder the Animal Rights freaks come out and say our dogs are all inbred when breeders themselves use the wrong terminology. NO they are not inbred. Inbred would be father/daughter, mother/son, brother/sister crosses.

Call it what you may, I'd say inbreeding and hope it is just an "opps litter". If done at all. Why would someone be so desperate to breed such. Also just came across a brother/sister cross. Same dad ? Are there not enough good stud dogs out there. If we don't have money to go out and breed, then don't breed. These are not old time breeders.

Breeder also
Call it what you may, I'd say inbreeding and hope it is just an "opps litter". If done at all. Why would someone be so desperate to breed such. Also just came across a brother/sister cross. Same dad ? Are there not enough good stud dogs out there. If we don't have money to go out and breed, then don't breed. These are not old time breeders.

I'm saying what it is. It is a tight line breeding, not inbreeding. A tight line breeding and inbreeding are not the same things, but go ahead and continue believing what you want.

If you came across a brother/sister breeding (same sire but different dam), then you came across a 1/2 brother, 1/2 sister breeding. Again not the same thing.

Please inform yourself better before offering advice. Here is a good link to start: http://www.gyrretrievers.com/gpage3.html

It sounds like the OP had an oops. Many people have had them. However, when doing a tight line breeding, it is best that you do know what's behind your lines, good, bad and ugly.

This is called a tight line breeding. It is not in breeding. I have done this with great success over the years but you must know your pedigrees.

As the original POSTER!
I did not have an "OPPS" I was just wondering....period!
Please do not make assumptions!

Well then if you have to ask if breeding a male to his mother's sister (his aunt) is the same DNA, then I hope you aren't even considering doing the breeding. It is quite obvious that you have little knowledge on genetics. The other "Breeder" who lacks knowledge about correct terminology nor doesn't know the difference between the terms was the one who first suggested you had an oops litter. I agreed by your question that it sounded like you had an oops litter. By your lack of knowledge as well, I just hope you don't do a purposeful breeding of this type

Breeder
As the original POSTER!

Just Say No
Well then if you have to ask if breeding a male to his mother's sister (his aunt) is the same DNA, then I hope you aren't even considering doing the breeding. It is quite obvious that you have little knowledge on genetics. The other "Breeder" who lacks knowledge about correct terminology nor doesn't know the difference between the terms was the one who first suggested you had an oops litter. I agreed by your question that it sounded like you had an oops litter. By your lack of knowledge as well, I just hope you don't do a purposeful breeding of this type

Breeder
As the original POSTER!

NO I am not considering a breeding such as this.
Again, I was merely ASKing about DNA.
Sheesh.....