Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Diet for colitis

My senior boy was diagnosed with colitis and my vet wants to put him on a special rx food. I really don't like the ingredients in Science Diet. Are there any other foods that I can use ie Pinnacle, California Natural, Natural Balance or others? Thank you for any help.

Re: Diet for colitis

you can google diets and many recommend doing away with grain as allergy to grains can exacerbate the condition. I would not do Science Diet either, it is full of grain. Pepto Bismol is very helpful in humans in treating Colitis. It has to be taken long term, several months, but it calms the intestinal tract. Dogs can take this medication, but I would give in tablet form, just give like a pill. We have used it for travel upsets. It will make stools dark so don't worry about the color of the stools. You can discuss with the Vet but it sure can't hurt. You might go to a good food without grain or raw, but fiber is very important. Raw Sweet Potatoes, apples would help with that. First it is suggested finding out what started the inflammation, if worms or bacteria treat first. Pepto will kill future Bacteria.

What kind of colitis? Ischemic, ulcerative, or other? What caused it? The cause could be bacterial, parasitic, vascular, structural... Acute or chronic? The vet recommended a food but did he recommend a diet? He should tell you what foods to use and what to avoid and not just a specific brand. There are many kinds of colitis and the optimal diet is different for each kind. Nobody can give you a valid answer without knowing what kind of colitis this is.

Other than diet - what has the vet prescribed?

We usually use the Iams Low Residue kibble (from the vet). It also comes in cans. The dog would usually be on metronidizole for a week and pepsid. We don't use Pepto anymore because of the ingredient related to aspirin that is in Pepto.

The low residue kibble can be used for long periods of time. I even use it for nursing moms that have very loose stools.

I have used Evanger's Classic Chicken and Rice canned food for a puppy that was diagnosed with irritable bowel. It worked great !!

My recommended a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice durin exacerbation of the colitis plus metronidazole, pepcid, and endosorb. Then I switched him to Coastal catch made by earthborn. I have also had good luck with this regime dealing with a senior who has perianal fistulas.

Natural Balance Synergy is made for digestive issues. It's nice food......

I use Dave's delicate dinners for "tummy troubles",comes dry and canned and the dogs love it.

Well, I don't like the ingredients in Science Diet either, but it is currently doing a fabulous job for my girl with IBD. I have tried literally every food out there for her - including home cooking, rotational diets, and Chinese Herbs. Finally, I gave in and put her on Science Diet z/d food and she is feeling great! She currently has zero symptoms (something we haven't seen in years), is gaining weight, adding coat, and is full of energy. I understand your concern about the ingredients in the food, but I've decided that I'm going to look at the dog - not the dog food bag.

My only regret in feeding this food is that I waited so long to try it for her. I caused her unnecessary distress by prolonging her illness with my hard headedness.

Susan, I wouldn't give yourself too much grief about being stubborn because I tried Science Diet with my girl who has perianal fistulas. The result was so awful that I had to give her 3 months of an immune suppressant (at $450 a month). I happened upon Earthborn Coastal Catch (just an accident because I was given a few trial bags), and she has been OK for nearly a year.

But I really agree that you need to look at the dog to see what works. Diseases like colitis and perianal fistulas can have an autoimmune component and be devilishly difficult to treat. Each dog really is different. Experimentation is the only way we can figure out what works.