Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Prostate Cancer in Dogs

Quite honestly I would give my boy any drug if I thought it would help! At the moment he is full of life, eating well and looks a picture of health with a shiny coat. The tumour measured 4.8 cm x 2 cm on the ultrasound and it has not spread to any other organs besides being in the vicinity of the colon wall and the prostate. It is a very irregular shape.

I have been reading results of studies that seem to indicate that giving high doses of turmeric (curcumin) also slows the growth of carcinomas of the prostate. It works in a similar way to Rimadyl etc.

There is a supplement for dogs that has Cumin and Turmeric, it also has antiinflammatory properties as well as use for cancer. It is called Curcuvet, it's also really inexpensive. FYI it may result with your dog producing odiferous gas until he's used to it. It was recommended by my dogs accupuncturist.

http://veterinary.thorne.com/articles/introducing-curcuvet.jsp

Thanks Tiffany. He can blow out as much gas as he likes! I will give anything a try.

I have not used rimadyl for cancer but did have a patient with a uncommon cancer on his nose that I used the piroxicam per Auburn's oncology folks. It is more expensive but I was amazed at how well he did and how long it was before he needed to be euthanized. He did happen to be a lab. Debbie Darche, DVM