Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Is diabetes genetic? Goodbye, FurFriend, and good co owner (Long)

I'm so sorry for your loss and that you were not able to be with her when she passed. Dakota Rose -- such a beautiful name. Think of her at the Bridge, fully restored and running with the wind.

Some diabetes has a genetic component, some doesn't.

Sorry to read your story. I have wondered also. I had a dog I co-owned confirmed about four years ago, he was about 7 at the time. Luckily the co-owners caught it and able to keep it in check. We neutered him, he had never been used so I felt that was a blessing. I had a puppy buyer contact me earlier this week, they lost the full aunt when she was about 8 yrs. old. Sounds like it went unnoticed in the dog until she nose dived and never recovered. The male I neutered was the last of that particular arm of my program and after hearing about his aunt, I thought good thing I didn't continue this particular line. I have a full sister, now 13, to the girl that died and both her parents lived to almost 14 and 15. They seemed to die of other natural causes. Never heard from other littermates to the girl who died about issues but I do know of one other girl who is still hale, hearty and alive. I did ask a friend who is a vet tech, she said they see LOTS of diabetes today in all dogs-most are overweight, diets not ideal etc etc. Well in my case, I'm suspcious that there is/was a genetic aspect involved.