Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Interceptor

Does anyone know anything new about Novartis' suspended production of Interceptor? It was undergoing "process and compliance improvement activities" in its Lincoln, Nebraska plant. I'm wondering if I should commit to a multi-month purchase of Heartguard or go month-by-month with the hope that Novartis will resume production soon.

Re: Interceptor

I called Novartis last week and they said they have not suspended Interceptor. There are still many online places (with the VIPPS logo) to purchase. Do you get a prescription from your vet? Last I looked Drs. Foster & Smith had the best price for 12 months.

My understanding it that interceptor is available, but Sentinel is on indefinite backorder.

I bought mine from a place in Canada at the beginning of the month. I could not locate any anywhere around on-line. F&S was out, 1800petmeds was out. Took a bit to arrive but I finally got it.

Interceptor, Sentinel and Deramxx are all produced at the same factory that had quality control issues on the human medicine side, finding controlled drugs in OTC brands.

Even though the vet drugs are made and/or packaged in completely different area of the manufacturing plant, the entire plant was shut down to deal with the QC issues on the human medicine side.

My vet said they do not know how long it will be until shipment is resumed. He recommended going with Heartgard for now and switching back when Interceptor is definitely available.

I found it at Total Pet Supply. It took a little over 2 weeks from date of order until receipt.

I know that some people don't like to use pet med companies because Novartis won't back it's product if not bought at the vet.

I have never had a problem buying it elsewhere.

We just picked up a supply from our vet's office two weeks ago. They had not had any interruption in supply and weren't aware of any disruption.

Thanks for the responses! I did a little searching today and found out that the following are out of stock on Interceptor or have it on backorder with no in stock date available:

Foster's & Smith, KVVet, Vet Depot, Total Pet Supply (Canada), my vet.

Note: Vet Depot had the lowest price (today). Prices for 12-month is $71.67, 6-month is $40.27. (My vet charges $58.75 for 6-month but will give me a script to send in.)

Our Novartis rep said they are looking at a minimum of 6 weeks before they begin to get back to normal manufacturing at the Lincoln plant. Who knows how long before they catch up on all the backorders. They did have some at another warehouse they were allotting to hospitals who typically order a lot of Interceptor. Deramaxx 25mg tablets are also b/o right now. They are shipping the 100mg, but it is taking 2-3 weeks from when the order is placed.