Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
transporting puppy from EU to US

Hi folks,
Hoping some of our overseas friends can chime in. I'm looking for advice for importing an 8 week old puppies from the EU to the US. Is it possible? Has anyone done this lately? The new EU rules state that pets must be 15 weeks or older and have a valid rabies vaccination (given 30 days prior). But, it seems like commercial shippers can ship? I plan to be on the flight with the puppy and I am aware that they must go as checked baggage or cargo. It seems like the rules have changed, so if you have experience in this matter I would really appreciate hearing from you

TIA

Re: transporting puppy from EU to US

http://www.cdc.gov/animalimportation/dogs.html

I suggest you take a look at the link above. Dogs travelling within the EU must have a rabies vaccination. At eight weeks, it's too early to vaccinate. As far as I can see at the CDC site you are allowed to import an unvaccinated dog, but you have to take special precautions upon the arrival to US. Different EU-countries can actually have different exporting rules. It'd also be a good thing if the breeder of this pup contacted the US Embassy in her/his country for more advice.

Thanks, Anki,
Any idea if there's a difference between traveling out of an EU country to a non EU country vs. traveling within the EU, or would driving to Switzerland (non EU) be a way to ship a puppy?

TIA

http://www.bvet.admin.ch/ein_ausfuhr/01210/01212/index.html?lang=en

Info from Switzerland on importing dogs from EU.

Why go via Switzerland? Too much stress for a young pup. You can fly directly from Europe to any major US-city. As I don't know what country you are importing from it's not easy to give advice.

I flew from Copenhagen to Newark on SAS with an 8 week old puppy and he went in the cabin under the seat. Every airline has a different policy. Coming into the US, if the puppy is too young to be vaccinated for rabies they don't need to be vaccinated.