Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How much should someone expect to pay?

If you are asking to use frozen semen from a stud dog owner, obviously you must pay the stud fee. But what other expenses are considered norm? Reimbursement for the collection fee charged to the dog owner? Storage of semen fee? What would be considered a normal fee for this? I expect the fees to be higher than just regular fresh chilled semen, but not sure if there are some things I am not considering. What about shipping fees? Are they different than normal fresh chilled fees?

Re: How much should someone expect to pay?

Stud fees are usually a bit more for frozen. Sometimes $100 to $300 more than a normal stud fee. Shipping frozen is very expensive as compared to shipping chilled. It depends where it is going to and coming from.

These are the costs that should be covered by the breeder using the stud dog (prices are based on the lab we use - ICSB):

• tank rental ($50.00)

• Shipping Prep ($75.00)

• Shipping ($400.00 + depending on zip)

• Stat Fee is the fee for getting things in motion. Call well be fore the breeding day and pay the lower price, same day is the higher price. ($45.00 or $75.00)

• Stud Fee + service charge (~ $1000.00)

Bottom line - it ain't cheap! But if you really need that stud in your line it definitely works!

Another tip. Ship early if your clinic has access to nitrogen to recharge the tank. This will help keeping the shipping costs low.

Toni
www.retrieverlife.com

Great info! Thank you!

I'm going through getting a frozen breeding lined up for later this year. Depending on where the frozen is housed will dictate the cost of the sperm transfer. In my case all the paperwork, tank rental and shipping is costing just over $400. Stud fee is $1000 (depending on the dog it could be double that or $1000 plus a puppy back). Keep in mind with frozen if it's a proven producer many owners of frozen sperm don't feel it's worth parting with unless receiving a higher stud fee. Surgical insemination at the clinic I'm using run about $700-$800. Will still have to do progesterone testing and will have added cost of LH testing to insure timing is perfect. You can figure at least double what normal breeding will cost you. But if that's the breeding you think is best for your bitch it's worth it!

If stud fee is $1000 for fresh chilled semen, you need to expect to pay more for frozen semen. Costs for collecting (collections), freezing, evaluation, storage & etc can add up to thousands of dollars. The stud dog owner will need to charge more to cover those costs.

Yes, Toni that all sounds about right. It ain't cheap! I think the stud fee can also depend on how much semen is available. For instance I have a few frozen and I have limited supply so you're going to pay a little more than a living dog would be for stud fee. I have one dog that I have LOTS of frozen on and I offer him only if puppies are produced, so no stud fee up front. My only requirements is that you are using a well educated repro vet that really knows what they are doing in timing for the implant and the surgery itself.