Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Corneal Dystrophy/ Lipidosis

I recently went to an eye clinic where my dog who had cleared CERF for several years was diagnosed with Cornea dystrophy-epithelial/stromal. I could not find information on the CERF website to see if this is a breeder option in Labradors. I know the ACVO said the dog has "excellent vision" and that it will not affect the vision whatsoever. I asked the ACVO about breeding this dog, he recommended that it would be fine to breed, just to avoid line breeding or breeding to other lines known for this condition. He also mentioned I should have my dog's thyroid checked as it could be caused my a thyroid issue.

Would like to hear other's experience with this condition. Thank you in advance.

Re: Corneal Dystrophy/ Lipidosis

High protein diets can cause this, as they are fatty deposits on the eye. Change the diet and they go away. They are NOT genetic in any way.

They are not caused by high protien diets.

They are cholesterol deposits on the eyes, they are a BREEDER OPTION from CERF.They don't generally affect their vision per my ACVO.
I had 2 dogs that had them, when I switched to a grain free high protien/fat diet they disappeared. I was supplementing with fish oil before and didn't need to with the new food as it already had enough in it.
The 2 dogs that did have it were related(1/2 siblings) , however none on the other line from their dam has ever come up with it, and neither of these dogs has produced it.So yes there is a genetic component to it,but as to the mode of inheritance i can't say, but I bred these 2 together and didn't produce any that had them.

lip·id/ˈlipid/
Noun:
Any of a class of organic compounds that are fatty acids or their derivatives and are insoluble in water but soluble in organic solvents...

You call it cholesterol, my ACVO called it fat. Either way, if we can make it go away with diet I would not worry about it.

I had a dog that developed these after being put on a grain free, high protein and fat diet. The ophthalmologist advised me to put her on a lower fat diet, preferably fish, which I did. Her eyes cleared completely and she's never had any further trouble.

It seems that the cause is unknown and is a breeder option? This dog has many things to offer and has passed all the other important clearences. I feed Pro Plan Performance so I will try pro plan sensitive skin and stomach for lower fat and fish base.

Lower fat diet helped one of my girls who had it. Deposits went away!

There are always conflicting opinions when breeders, and even veterinarians, discuss corneal dystrophy. Here is my understanding:

Unlike in breeds where it is considered a primary disorder and the incidence is much higher, it is less prevalent in the Labrador and there is a strong chance that it occurs secondary to a metabolic disorder such as glycogen storage diseases, etc.. Such diseases typically produce these accumulations in body tissues and, when they are present in the eye, corneal dystrophy results.

This makes it very difficult to determine heredity since members of the same family may present similar deposits in another organ system that go unnoticed or, even when abnormal cell metabolism is diagnosed, there is little likelihood that the association will be made.

If the above is accurate, I personally would not worry about an occasional corneal dystrophy unless other family members suffered from alternative forms of a common primary condition. Then warning bells may start to ring...

Did this dog get a pass on his Cerf ? They do pass if it is Lipidosis. Might not if they see more to worry about.

I had it show up in lines I was using 20 plus years ago. At that time CERF said 'nope' and so end of the road with lovely old lines. The only thing that I will mention is that I had immediate family members to the initial confirmed also get diagnosed and also had RD showed up so in the end, back then, it was for the best. Line gone.
Yes do a complete thyroid panel on the confirms-I did(mine were normal for time/age). Dogs and bitches confirmed. I agree with ACVO-don't breed to another confirmed if thyroid is normal and I would ask stud dog owner about any CD in and around dog I'm going to use.

I have had it also, but did they pass this dog so he could get a Cerf clearance ?

My girl passed CERF every year until she was 6 years old then nope. Did the throid panel and it showed everything in normal range.

Corneal Dystrophy is Breeder Option from CERF.

I would send in the CERF exam report to CERF, then you will get your answer, if it says breeder option, then you will still get a number.