Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chessie with sensitive stomach? NLR but could use ideas

Hi all, my brother owns a Chessie that seems to have a lot of stomach issues. He claims he has a 'sensitive tummy'. This could be true but here's an example I don't consider normal sensitive tummy: Dog appears fine, I go over to 'clicker charge' (I help with the training) and use Natural Balance roll Lamb. He eats a fair amount. Next morning he eats breakfast. Afternoon he vomits, has normal bowel movement followed by loose stool. That evening won't touch his food. Next morning, still doesn't want his food. I use the kibble and a few salmon based treats (only other ingredient was wheat, his diet is TOW salmon). He takes the treats readily at class, comes home and gets balance of his meal with yogurt. Immediately vomits it up and then wants no part of meal. This morning vomit in the crate - looks like partially digested meal (probably last nights' treats and kibble we used at class). Given rice and water this morning. So far so good with that.
So - is this food related? Illness? Unfortunately seems he goes thru bouts of vomiting with this dog. It may very well be food allergies but I have never seen reactions like this, also I am not really familiar with many food allergies either.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Chessie with sensitive stomach? NLR but could use ideas

How old is the Chessie? Puppy or adolescent that could have eaten a foreign object, even months ago, and still have it in there OR have parasites?

What does the dog's breeder suggest?

Dog's breeder says 'Chessies have sensitive stomachs!'
The dog is only 13 months old, I did suggest possibility of something like a foreign object which he is considering, but they really do watch him pretty closely. I didn't think of parasite, I will toss that one to him. Thanks.

Almost sounds like a type of reflux... sorry ~ I know that's not much help..

If I were your brother, I would go to food only, maybe 3/4 of what he is getting, no treats, no add-ins to his food. Do that for a few weeks, see where he is then?

A lot of those treats are rich and could be upsetting his belly.

He could have ingested something awhile ago that irritated his intestinal/stomach lining and it has not had time to heal. I had that happen to a Lab of mine. It took weeks of bland food to allow his stomach to heal. The prescription diets available through vets work really well in these cases. I would take the dog in for a work up.