Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Potomac judges

Not to raise hackles or start an argument, but it seems like the judges for the regular classes at Potomac this year are those that like leggier, more traditional Labs rather than the shorter,stockier Labs that often do well at specialties. Am I off base with this? Can anyone tell me what Mr. Edwards likes, in particular? I can't find much online to give me an idea of what type of Lab he breeds.

I'm not knocking either phenotype; I'm just trying to figure out if my dogs will match the judges' perceptions of the ideal Lab.

Re: Potomac judges

Well, enter them. You'll find out.

Reality check in order.
Think about how many people leave Potomac without a ribbon. Way more than those that got a ribbon. You have to like what you have on the leash. the judge is one opinion on that day. Tomorrow could be completely different. Go to the best Labrador show in the world and enjoy your dogs and fellow breeders. Just being in the ring at Potomac is a delight. Be proud of what you brought no matter if the judge agrees or not.

I definitely am proud of my dogs but it's nice to know what the judge likes too. I always research judges beforehand; for me, it's part of the hobby!

Totally agree with Jedi. I go to see other dogs and have fellow breeders see mine. It's like any other show - what the judge puts up isn't necessarily what you will like. Have fun!

Marilyn Prior did Pawcatuck River a few years ago - you could look up the results.

People come to look at the dogs - if you like what you breed - then show it - it gives others an opportunity to see what others lines look like.

Potomac Predictions
Not to raise hackles or start an argument, but it seems like the judges for the regular classes at Potomac this year are those that like leggier, more traditional Labs rather than the shorter,stockier Labs that often do well at specialties. Am I off base with this? Can anyone tell me what Mr. Edwards likes, in particular? I can't find much online to give me an idea of what type of Lab he breeds.

I'm not knocking either phenotype; I'm just trying to figure out if my dogs will match the judges' perceptions of the ideal Lab.

I don't have your answer but if I did, I would tell you. You asked a question. You didn't ask for their advice why to go to Potomac. Go ask around in your club and the breeders you know and respect. These posters are a bunch of clowns.

I thought it was a really good question as well. It is fun to think about the style of lab particular judges like and make predictions as to what dogs may have a good shot at taking it all. Of course, the dogs are judged on the day and when that surprise winner comes out of nowhere...that is what competing is all about.

It is not like the other posts are bad. I do go to shows to see the other entries. I will still leave the show proud of my entry even if we don't get a ribbon because I wouldn't have entered the show without being proud of my entry. That said, I hope I learn something at every show about me, my entries, and about labs in general.

But don't forget, this is a competition and competing is fun (as long as you are not afraid of not winning).

Unbelievable
Potomac Predictions

I don't have your answer but if I did, I would tell you. You asked a question. You didn't ask for their advice why to go to Potomac. Go ask around in your club and the breeders you know and respect. These posters are a bunch of clowns.

Richard Edwards has written some of the most interesting and informative books on Labradors anywhere.

His trained eye, his disciplined mind and his ability to paint pictures with his words make them obligatory reading for any Labrador enthusiast. As a historian, he runs up and down the ladders of the most famous bloodlines with amazing ease, stopping here and there to go into more detail horizontally. Take the time to read and you will form an idea of what he calls "type" and "quality" - nothing pedantic or superior about his prose and, when he ventures a personal opinion, he makes sure you know it is just that.

I really look forward to watching him judge dogs at Crufts next week. One thing for sure - the man know his Labradors. He may not necessarily lap up the flavour of the day, but he will find a true Labrador...

Where do you go to get these books? They're not to be found on Amazon under that name.

OK Answered my own question. If you google Richard Edwards plus Labradors, several books pop up that can be ordered through the author.

Jedi
Reality check in order.
Think about how many people leave Potomac without a ribbon. Way more than those that got a ribbon. You have to like what you have on the leash. the judge is one opinion on that day. Tomorrow could be completely different. Go to the best Labrador show in the world and enjoy your dogs and fellow breeders. Just being in the ring at Potomac is a delight. Be proud of what you brought no matter if the judge agrees or not.

So well said, thank you Jedi

Hi JP, nice to read you again:-) I can only say "hear, hear" to your post. Richard Edwards is by far the most knowledgeable Labrador person there is. Marilyn Prior knows a good Labrador when she sees one. She's been around a long time and has bred a number of superior Labradors. I know for a fact she's very fond of an "old fashioned" Labrador head:-)
Anyone at Potomac going home with a ribbon under these judges can be very proud. Very proud indeed!

Thanks JP - Well said!!

thanks
Thanks JP - Well said!!

Always words of wisdom from JP. I agree. Well said.

Who chooses the judges from the LRCP for The Potomac or other shows? Is it the board?

Yes some people on the Board choose the judges