Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How do you earn BISS, how do the groups work?

How do you earn BISS, how do the groups work?

Re: How do you earn BISS, how do the groups work?

You earn a Best In Specialty Show (BISS) by going Best of Breed. If that comes from a class win, that means going Winners, and almost always Best of Winners.

There are no Groups at a Labrador Specialty show. Group competition takes place at an Allbreed show.

At an Allbreed show, you would need to take Best of Breed Labrador, which enables you to compete in the Sporting Group. To go on to Best in Show (BIS) at an allbreed show, you need to earn a Group 1 placement in the Sporting Group, and then compete with all other Group 1 winners from the remaining Groups.

Go onto the AKC Website and download and print Rules Pertaining to Dog Shows. All of your questions can be answered there. Good luck, and have fun.

You earn a Best In Specialty Show (BISS) by going Best of Breed. If that comes from a class win, that means going Winners, and almost always Best of Winners.

There are no Groups at a Labrador Specialty show. Group competition takes place at an Allbreed show.

At an Allbreed show, you would need to take Best of Breed Labrador, which enables you to compete in the Sporting Group. To go on to Best in Show (BIS) at an allbreed show, you need to earn a Group 1 placement in the Sporting Group, and then compete with all other Group 1 winners from the remaining Groups.

Go onto the AKC Website and download and print Rules Pertaining to Dog Shows. All of your questions can be answered there. Good luck, and have fun.

You need education, too. 101.

You said - "You earn a Best In Specialty Show (BISS) by going Best of Breed. If that comes from a class win, that means going Winners, and almost always Best of Winners."

If you compete at a Specialty show and go winners, you cannot win Best in Specialty Show unless you are also Best of Winners.

Or, said another way, if the dog/bitch goes BOB from the classes, he/she is automatically Best of Winners.

"You need education, too. 101.

You said - 'You earn a Best In Specialty Show (BISS) by going Best of Breed. If that comes from a class win, that means going Winners, and almost always Best of Winners.'

If you compete at a Specialty show and go winners, you cannot win Best in Specialty Show unless you are also Best of Winners."

Actually she was correct...albeit a total long shot....but Best of Winners is not awarded if there were no dogs of the opposite sex entered (or in attendance).

It is great when people who are mean are also wrong.

I am sorry but I couldn't help it.

?

You need education, too. 101.

You said - "You earn a Best In Specialty Show (BISS) by going Best of Breed. If that comes from a class win, that means going Winners, and almost always Best of Winners."

If you compete at a Specialty show and go winners, you cannot win Best in Specialty Show unless you are also Best of Winners.

I was going to say that too! It is highly unlikely it would ever happen at a Lab specialty, but it very well could happen in a less popular breed.

So Nancy has posted.....The oracle has again spoken, lol.
The question was posed on a Labrador forum, and answered in regard to Labradors.
For rare breeds, there may be only one sex in competition at an all breed show, or multi breed show, but certainly not at a Specialty Show.
Has anyone ever been to a specialty show where there has been only one sex in competition? If the breed is so very rare that there is only one sex that enters, I don't thnk that there would ever be the need for a Specialty Show, therefore, no BISS...which was the original issue.

I am a newbie also. If our boy took breed at an all breed show does that mean he received BISS?

labradorsinthemaplecity
I am a newbie also. If our boy took breed at an all breed show does that mean he received BISS?

No, BISS is Best In Specialty Show. To receive BISS you have to win Best of Breed at a Specialty show. If it is an all breed show and you win Best in Show, they you can say your dog is a BIS winner. Even all-breed shows whose entries are supported by specialty clubs do not count as BISS if you win Best of Breed. You must win Best of Breed at a designated specialty show.

And please Common Sense, use some. It is pretty unreasonable to think that there would only be one sex at a Labrador Specialty show.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I appreciate everyone's input.