Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Reports of possible problems with Kirkland Lamb & Rice Canned Dog Food

Pet Food News is spreading fast of possible links to Kirkland canned dog foods (sold at Costco) to sick and dying dogs. No independent laboratory testing has been done on the food - yet. However I've emailed with one pet owner who lost two dogs believed to be linked to the canned food and have heard of several others.

Kirkland canned foods are made by American Nutrition in Ogden, UT. A phone call to American Nutrition has not been returned yet. A phone call to Costco yielded no better results. Customer Service Representative Jeannie told me the company makes sure all products are safe, "We wouldn't sell a product that would harm a pet." I shared that there are reports of numerous sick and dead dogs believed to be related to the canned dog food, also that one veterinarian believes the food is related to a pet death. I asked if Costco is testing the food and if so, what type of testing is being done. Jeannie said she would investigate and return my call - she also warned that "sometimes it takes up to a week" to respond.

The suspect food is Kirkland canned Lamb & Rice Dog Food - expiration 2013.

Symptoms have been diarrhea and vomiting. One pet was diagnosed with malabsorption syndrome (when the small intestines cannot absorb nutrients from food).

Again, we do NOT know for certain if the Kirkland food is linked to these illnesses - it is only suspect at this point. If you feed your pet a Kirkland canned food, be very observant of your pet. Should you see any sign of 'out of normal' behavior, see your veterinarian immediately. Should we learn anything more regarding this issue (from pet owners testing the food to response from American Nutrition and/or Costco), news will be posted.

Wishing you and your pet(s) the best,

Susan Thixton
Pet Food Safety Advocate
Author, Buyer Beware
Co-Author Dinner PAWsible
TruthaboutPetFood.com
PetsumerReport.com

Re: Reports of possible problems with Kirkland Lamb & Rice Canned Dog Food

Marjorie
Customer Service Representative Jeannie told me the company makes sure all products are safe, "We wouldn't sell a product that would harm a pet."

Based on first hand experience in 2007; they would, they can, and they have. The service rep may have to live in fairyland to keep her job, but manufacturing problems happen. It would sure be nice if manufacturers and distributors would take some responsibility.

No Kidding, was this 2007 food issue with the canned or the Kirkland Lamb and Rice Kibble ?

Some Kirkland canned was recalled in 2007.

Dry foods were recalled I think prior to that for other issues at other times--one was mold. The Lamb Natural (?) dry that a friend was feeding her dogs was NOT recalled, but the food seemed to change, and the fertility and coats in her dogs went into a decline. She switched to Eukanuba Sporting and is happy with it, in spite Euk and Iams recalls on other formulas. Shrug.