Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Am I to late?

On day 12 (3/12) with a p.m. draw, my girl was a 3.3. She was retested on 3/15 p.m. and the result the next day was a 11.1. The stud dog was going nuts on 3/15 and I did an AI just in case. I got only 3cc of sperm and no 3rd fraction. I did not have extender to add and inseminated the sperm. I did another breeding on 3/16 when the results came back at the 11.1. He was still crazy and gave me a better collection. Both were examined under the microscope and were very good. Did I breed her to late?

Re: Am I to late?

I think you probably nailed it. She probably ovulated on 3/13 or 3/14.

Ovulation is generally around 5.0 NG. Ovaries aren't mature for another 2 days.

Once they ovulate, progesterone accelerates, so 2 days after ovualtion progesterone is porbably 11NG. or more.

I say that was good timing. Day 2 & 4 after the bitch ovulates is very good timing (figure she probably ovulated late on the 13th or early 14th). It doesn't matter what the number is after they ovulate, as long as you know when they ovulate. Some girls go up super fast and can be in the 20's and 30's a day or two after they hit 5.

Why would you be too late? If you're that worried then test 2 days after a 3.3 or more, not 3 days. She could have gone much higher, some girls move from 3.3 to 11.1 in 24 hours. The LH surge occurs at 2.0, ovulation occurs at 5 to 8 ng. per ml. As someone said, you nailed it. Agree.

I breed at around 14 to 18 ng. per ml. doing a final, 3 hour result, progesterone test at the local hospital to double check for only $38.00. This way after the litter is whelped, I know for the next time what level is best to breed that girl at.

If any of my girls are bred at 14 to 18 ng. per ml.we always have a litter of 9 or more, a couple of times up to 13 pups. No fretting, you're lucky she moved up that slow in 3 full days.

B.T.W. I always have litters of 2/3 to 3/4 girls when breeding at 14 to 18. Let us know how many pups you have & the sexes. You looked at his semen under a microscope and it looked very good. You don't need the 3rd fraction altho I would wonder why it wasn't there. Some breeders & stud owners dump it or try not to collect the 3rd fraction if possible.

Agree with Mike. I think you were spot on. When FedEx lost one of my shipments, I did a progesterone on my bitch 2 days later when the backup arrived. She was 18 or 19 and ended up with 8 puppies.

Thank you everyone. That is what I thought, but it never hurts to get other opinions. My concern was the 1st AI of only sperm. I will let you know how many puppies we have.