Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Acana Dog Food

Anyone use Acana Dog Food? Like it or not? Would like some feedback before I try it with my guys. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Re: Acana Dog Food

We've used Acana & Orijen for years & LOVE it as do the dogs! JMHO

What would make one choose Orijen over Acana?
I understand that they are made by the same company?
I like what I read about Orijen also.
So, if you have pups and older labs, what do you choose and why? Thanks for your input.

Yes, I have fed for a good 5 years, and I love it. Dogs don't complain either.

I found that Orijen was too high-test for my gang - could never get solid poops. Acana has a slightly lower percentage of protein and my dogs do very well on it. Get nice coats. I like that all the varieties contain several different protein sources.

My dogs did better on Acana than Orijen. I like Acana very much. But my dog food place had trouble getting it. Most of the time he would have it but just not consistent.

Lab Breeder
What would make one choose Orijen over Acana?
I understand that they are made by the same company?
I like what I read about Orijen also.
So, if you have pups and older labs, what do you choose and why? Thanks for your input.

My boys love Acana Pacifica.. I buy two/three bags at a time.. Had trouble getting it once only..

Has anyone used the Arcana as Puppy Food?

Acana is a great food and manufacturer is reliable. Orijen made by the same company can sometimes be too rich for our Labradors. I sell a lot of the Acana here and everyone loves it.

I switched to Acana Wild Prairie which is a combo of chicken and fish about 1 1/2 years ago after the ProPlan dredded shredded dilemma. My dogs all do great on it from the 5 month old to the 13 1/2 year old!! The Acana's ratio is about 33% protein/18% fat vs Orijen which is about 42% protein/20% fat I think. So far I have raised my puppies on ProPlan Puppy and I switch my keepers to Acana at around 4 months old. Acana is an All Life Stages dog food.

We fed Acana briefly, Origen too high protein for my crew, the Acana, too high calorie, they could have 1/2 a cup twice a day or they gain weight

I can't tell a labrador that 1/2 a cup twice a day is all you can eat. it would like handing me 3 saltine and saying get over it...

so i moved them to dick van patten fish and sweet potato

Lois@Majestx
Acana is a great food and manufacturer is reliable. Orijen made by the same company can sometimes be too rich for our Labradors. I sell a lot of the Acana here and everyone loves it.

For what it is worth, I began using Orijen with a couple of my guys. I feed exactly half of the recommended amounts and have had zero problems. I am quite pleased with the results I get and would love to switch the entire kennel out.

Curiouser

I was hoping to use their puppy formula but could not find it anywhere. My dogs love Acana and will switch my youngster over to it in a month or two.

I just had a litter on Acana, which is what I had been feeding mom. Unfortunately as I wrote above, for some reason the place I get food couldn't get it for a while. I had to switch my whole pack to something else. So, I only had them on it until they were about 12 weeks old. They were doing great. I won't hesitate to switch back to it and use it for pups in the future as I think the supply issue has been solved. But I don't have any long term results to share. Since it is rated for all life stages, it basically is a puppy food anyway.

Puppy Food
Curiouser

I was hoping to use their puppy formula but could not find it anywhere. My dogs love Acana and will switch my youngster over to it in a month or two.