Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AKC Online Litter Registration

A quick understanding...

I sold a puppy 2 1/2 years ago. I am not sure if I was on as co-owner. I do not have a copy of the Registration. I am second guessing myself right now, as I may not have checked off Limited Registration.

I just rec'd an email from AKC stating that he is the sire of a litter whelped recently. "the sire owner should go to http.... and follow the instructions and indicate action.

Does this mean what??
I am a co-owner?
I am the breeder and receive a copy?
I am notified because I did check off the Limited?
I am notified because the bitch owner can't get a sign off?
-any other reasons? Of course it is now Friday night, and I cannot call AKC
The information in the email provides dam and sire information. Neither are on offa.org showing clearances. Dog was sold as a pet only and contract stated pet only. I am livid right now, but just trying to understand the reason behind me rec'ing the email.

TIA

Re: AKC Online Litter Registration

It sounds like the dog was bred. Have you check OFA stats to see if he was certified?

I co-own a male who has been used a few times. I get an email whenever the litter is registered. Since I am only on the dog in name only, the primary owner is the one who acknowledges the request to ok the litter registration. It only takes one of the owners to complete the sire section.

I use the "my AKC" on their site to periodically check my litters to see which dogs were registered out each litter. You can find information on what the dog was named and whether or not it was registered on full or limited registration.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for replying...

Here are a few more things:

The email clearly states he was used. It lists his AKC registered name and number. I checked OFA and see that he is not listed. I tried by his registered name, part of his registered name, and his AKC Registration #.
So I do already know all that about him. Because at that time, I gave the AKC application to the new owners, I do not recall if I'm listed as co-owner. And I am not sure if I selected Limited Registration.

I logged in to My AKC, and can see his information, but can only add him as a Dog of Interest rather than a Dog Owned, because I do not have his Issue Date of Certificate.
I can check the status of the litter registration (awaiting sire owner to approve). I can only see my online input that it was Limited, but it states that it is only my input, not necessarily what is on AKC records.

I will call AKC. If I'm on as co-own, but he's not limited registration, I likely have no recourse other than my contract and in the courts. if I am neither co-own nor Limited, I'm totally out of luck.
Female's registration # and registered name is listed in the email as well. I have found NOTHING on her either other than her reg'd name which tells me she's "noone" .
SO, if I was not on a co-own, I would not receive any email? Do you think I am rec'ing the email because I am on as co-own?

Yes you received the email because you are listed as co-owner as I am on the dog that I co-own. You do not need to approve the litter registration as the other co-owner can do this. Obviously the dog is not on limited registration or they would not be asking you to sign the registration form for the litter.

Your only recourse will depend on how strong your contract is and what it says about breeding this dog. Otherwise, if the dog is on full registration, regardless if you co-own or not, he can and apparently has been used for breeding. I would contact the owner and tactfully find out what is going on first before taking any further action.

Thank you so much for replying. I do not believe my contract from that time was not all that strong . I have learned a few lessons over the last 2 years and have changed my contract as a result. My memory is failing me as back then, I remember leaving Registration as Full on 1 of the pups as they wanted to show. Just don't recall doing all as Full.

I just hope with the no results of any clearance on either of them, that all is well with theses puppies, and the families that go to buy them, do not have any heartaches.

Thank you again.

When you register your litter with the AKC you get a Litter Record. On that record it asks Ltd? Y/N. It is for your own personal information, but, I find this very helpful when placing pups, so I don't have to remember who is limited and who is a full registration. As I get older, you know the memory goes.

Good lesson in not letting pups go out on Full Registration AT ALL. Sorry it happened.

Don't you keep a copy of each contract on every pup you sell (for each litter file)? And a copy of the AKC papers that are filled out on each pup?

that would tell you if the pup was registered open or limited.

When you go to the AKC site and log in, there is a Breeder Records on the left hand side. It's right under Manage Dogs, where you can add dogs of interest or ones that you own.

You should be able to see all the litters you registered, and all the dogs that you own that sired a litter (though it might be different if you only co-own the dog, you might not be able to see that). But, with the litter in question, you might be able to go there and see each individual registered puppy and if it was Limited or Full. I don't know if this is the same if you register a litter via the paper vs. online. I always did online. I can go online though, see a particular litter, see all the registered puppies (3 are still not registered, I am changing how I do things next time), their registered names and L or F.

Maybe that can help you find the info you are looking for.