Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pink footpads, black puppy

Although this is my first litter, I have never seen or heard of this before, I am baffled. I have a black female newborn puppy here with bolo markings on her feet, but all of her footpads are pink too. When I look up "bolo markings" or "bolo pads" on the internet, all I get are pics and descriptions of white hairs between the toes...nothing about pink footpads. There is no other white markings on this puppy besides what I just described, anybody have any input?

Re: Pink footpads, black puppy

Have had this in many puppies. The pink turns black, believe me! I have also had white nails, looks like a bear paw. The nails also turn black eventually. All in litters with Bolos on wrists and white hair on bottom of feet. I find it is common in particular pedigrees. Have also had white on chest and chin, which have gone away. Don't freak out!

I just had this (pink pads on a black puppy) in a litter recently - the pads turned black by 8 weeks. This same puppy had white on the chin as well - it is no longer noticeable. Several puppies had bolos and white hairs on the chest.

I too have had this. The blacks with pink pads when put next to blacks with black pads are a different shade of black as well. I was informed by a long time breeder (longer than my 37 years in Labs) here in Australia that the puppies are knon as seal puppies. Everything will go black. It usually happens in lines carrying chocolate. I nearly had a coronary the first time I saw it lol.

My puppy was out of B(y) lines out of a dominant black bitch. Interestingly, one of the puppies had a yellow mismark (yellow patch of hair on leg). The puppy who had the pink pads was a different shade of black as well.

Ok, thanks everybody :)

I had it 5 years ago too. Last pup born was black with pink pads and huge bolos up the wrist. Pads turned black within a week. Still has the huge bolos. She ended up my keeper puppy too. Great coat and tail on her as well. Even though she was as different shade of black at that time, she's as black as my other blacks today.
She has since given me 3 litters and produced bolos in 2 of the 3. In those two, all the bolos disappeared by 8 weeks, but has never produced bolos up the wrist, nor pink pads.